Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2004, 10:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to survivinglove
Peppermint Shrimp EATING pink tip anenome, any ideas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all:

In the minireef tank there are two (somewhat large) peppermint shrimp and one of them has decided to pull the tips of the pink tip anenome off and eat them.

Never had this problem before. Any ideas? I know the peppermint shrimps will eat Aiptasia but why would it eat a pink tip?

Additionally, whats a good anenome to have for a 20 gal tank that has good lighting but with being a 'beginner' ... is hardy?

If this continues, I'm going to try and catch the culprit and swap him iwth a smaller peppermint shrimp.

Thanks.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a problem with my peppermint eating my seabae(or trying to) when I first put the anemone in the tank. I had to shoo him off a couple of times but havn't had a problem since. Did you just add the anemone? May just be curious.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to jenpc Send a message via AIM to jenpc Send a message via MSN to jenpc Send a message via Yahoo to jenpc
I have read that they will eat them. I don't know what I would do about it, but there is tons of information on google. I am looking for a beginner anenome too. If I come across info I will post it for you.
Good Luck.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Feed the shrimp, some algea wafers once a week if there is only 2 of them should be plenty. If they are hungry they will eat anything that dosen't eat them first, the law of nature.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
I agree with justmy2cents... I feed all of my shrimp and crabs 1-2 times per week. Sometimes when my cleaner is hungry he will start picking at my pink tip too but for the most part I think he trys to clean it. When he does the anenome recoils. I say feed your shrimp once a week with like krill and he will back off..

Tags
anenome, eat, eating, pepper, peppermint, peppermint shrimp, pink, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com