Peppermint shrimp eating Ricordia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got some ricordia. It seems my peppermint shrimp are eating it. I thought they were "reef safe". I guess I'll need to put them in the sump.

Peps are reef-safe as far as I know. Are you sure they weren't just cleaning the ric? Mine occasionly clean corals. It may irritate the coral for a bit but it isn't harming it.

Fireman

May have been what he was doing. I certainly hope so! Hasn't messed with it since. Had me worried there when it jumped all over my new ricordia. Thanks for calming my fears.

Lysmata wurdemanni (aka...peppermint shrimp) is considered to be reef-safe. They are great at controlling aiptasia, however, this behavior can be redirected toward other corals and anemones. You should always keep a close eye on peps in a reef tank because of this. That being said, I have never had any trouble with mine. Their cousin, the camel shrimp, tends to be more of a coral nipper. They look very similar and I have seen some LFS selling camel shrimp as peppermint shrimp. Just need to make sure it is, indeed, a peppermint. If it is a peppermint and does nip at your corals, it should be considered rare, but not surprising.

THEY CLEAN CORAL, FISH AND ANYTHING WHEN THEY ARE HUNGRY. mINE WENT THE CLOWN WAY(MY TOMATO CLOWN ATE THEM). :wink:

Back
Top Bottom