peppermint shrimp eating Zoas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erichm20

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I added a peppermint to eat an aptaisia but since adding him the aptasia is still here but some zoas have disappeared... I've read that some do and some don't.

That's weird. Never knew them to be anything but reef safe. Could be something else in the tank. Some amphipods munch on zoas or nudibranchs.

I'd pay attention and watch to make sure there isn't a nudibranch in your tank. I've had several hitchhike into my tank that I've had to remove that we're coral eaters, primarily my blue symphodium polyps but the zoa eating nudis are just as common.

Kept a close eye on em. Haven't seen a nudi but there are definitely amphipods. I saw one that was like king amphipod he was like 1/4 inch long! He could be the culprit. Also have some spaghetti worms that may be irritating them. I did a dip and moved them to a different location. Tested the water and kh was a little low 6-7. Other colonies in the tank are thriving so this one stumps me a.

They are not eating your zoas. they are simply cleaning up the mess. Something else is effecting them.

Ok here are a few pics. This rock was once covered from end to end.

image-4262065246.jpg

And this frag was also covered up until two weeks ago and now it looks like a lawn mower went right through the middle.

image-2799907965.jpg

The symptoms do not appear to be that of something eating them - no pieces missing but rather they just close up and whither away... See the back of the frag...

Back
Top Bottom