Peppermint shrimp eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trophkid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was spying on my tank last night with the flashlight and noticed that one of my two peppermint shrimp had a red clump under the tail and had her legs wrapped around it. The other one did not look like this. Is she carrying eggs? I've only had my 29g tank setup for a month and a half and got them about 3 weeks ago.

What do I do? Is this a sign of good water quality becuase I've tested but am still not confident about all the parameters.

My 29g has been setup for about 2 months, 45#'s or LR from LR.com, 3 powerheads (645 gph total), weekly 15% water changes (RO/DI only), Coralife Aqualight which is 2 x 65 watts.

1 clown, 1 firefish, two damsels (blue and 4 stripe), and 2 peppermint shrimp, 3 turbo snails, 3 blue-legged hermits.

Most times the eggs are green. Once they begin to hatch, the abdomen will turn whitish. When the babies are ready, the shrimp will release them into the water column and most likely your fish will gobble them up. I've never actually breed peppermint shrimp but I have a pair of cleaners shrimp and some ghost shrimp that keep having babies. My cleaner shrimp keep eating their babies. You may have some survive if they get to the rockwork before the fish get them. I'm not sure about the red abdomen on your shrimp. Any chance of getting a picture?

I snapped some shots but I'm at work without my camera. The pics aren't very clear but there is definitely something under her tail that she's clutching to. I'm a total newbie to the saltwater game so I'm in need of constant advice.

When compared to the other shrimp, they look quite different. I'll try to post those crappy pics tonight.

Back
Top Bottom