Peppermint Shrimp life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfishhobbyist

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,
How long do peppermint shrimp live? We had ours for 2 months and it molted 3 times. The most recent was Monday and now we think it may have died. We can't find it anywhere. All water parameters are fine. Could he have he just finished his life mission?

Thanks!

I would say that if your water shows no ammonia spikes, and you cant find him, he may just have molted and is hiding. They usually find the smallest cracks and crevices to hide until their shell hardens. Also, the average life span of a peppermint shrimp is up to two years.. and thats with good water quality conditions. So i dont think it finished its "life cycle". Just keep an eye out for it. ;)

Hi everyone,
How long do peppermint shrimp live? We had ours for 2 months and it molted 3 times. The most recent was Monday and now we think it may have died. We can't find it anywhere. All water parameters are fine. Could he have he just finished his life mission?

Thanks!
have 4 and don't see them sometimes for a week or more. put a red filter on a flashlight and check it out at night. you'll probably see him along with other cool stuff.

The thing is this would be the first time he's hidden like this. He's always in this one place hanging upside down. He molted on Monday (for the 3rd time) and he looked kind of 'spent', if you will, and we thought it was just the trauma of the molt. Then on Tuesday, in his usual spot...he just didn't look right and again we thought it was b/c he was still trying to harden...he also ate his shell, fyi. Now, we also have a fire red shrimp but they have never faught or anything - the fire shrimp was in the tank first and they had their tiffs or rather, the fire shrimp had fits but the property line issues were established right away 2 months ago. Could the fire shrimp have eaten him?

I doubt the fire shrimp ate the peppermint shrimp. Also, its not unusual for them to eat their shells because their shells still have nutrients in it. Also, when you got these shrimp, were they small, or already full grown? Because if they were already full grown, then maybe it is so that it was at the end of its life cycle. And it only had about another 3 months left. I've seen things like this. Thats why i figure it best to get ones that are new, and smaller in size so you know they are just starting out. :p

Back
Top Bottom