Peppermint Shrimp vs. Aiptasia - Does it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone had luck with peppermint shrimp waging war on aiptasia?

The tank I got is full of aiptasia.

Thanks!

I had one single tiny aiptasia and a peppermint shrimp which didnt do anything to it. That shrimp eventually died from unknown reasons and when I replaced him my new peppermint did take care of it. So in my experiance it was 50/50 chance of them taking care of them. But if they aiptasia are huge i dont think a pepermint shrimp could do much. Im not sure on that though.

Depends on the size of the aiptasia. If its a big one, the shrimp probably will ignore it. They will sometimes eat the smaller ones though, it really is hit or miss with them. Best bet is to get some Joe's juice, roll up your sleeves, and get to nuking them.

Pepperming shrimp won't solve your tank full of aptasi. Also, DO NOT try to manually rmove them with your hands. That'll break'm up and make them spread even more.

How to kill Aptasia?

So, I got a peppermint shrimp for my tank, but it didn't kill any of the aptasia. I was told that you can kill them by injecting them with boiling water, but I don't know where to get a syringe. Anyone have any ideas?

Using Kalk paste or Joe's Juice is a better option than using boiling water. Having an animal in your system eat aiptasia is hit or miss.

I had luck with my first tank, so I got one for my second tank just in case some pops up :eek:) Plus I think they're a neat addition. Mine have bouts of hiding, but usually come out throughout the day, and even when they're hiding they do they're back and forth dance.

I tried injecting the ones i had with lemon juice via a hypodermic syringe. It took two seperate injections but it worked they are gone

Was it pure lemon juice?

I added two peppermint shrimp last night. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they have a taste for aiptasia!

True peps MAY eat young aiptasis. Mine did, but that was years ago:rocol:

They're good to have anyway, so get some.

Dont get a pep just for that. i had one that ramdomly turned rogue and ate an acon and an oyster. Not worth it imo. Took me 9 weeks to get him out.

I saw the lemon juice thing on YouTube. Even though I don't have your problem, I'm glad I got my peppermints. I call them my hip-hop crew because of the way the sway back and forth :)

I agree don't get a peppermint just for getting rid of aiptasia, but also don't avoid getting one just because one person had a bad one. I have one in both my tanks, and think they're a great addition. Sometimes they're very active, and some times I don't see them for a couple days.

I finally took the plunge...I went both routes.

I got two peppermint shrimp and some aiptasia-x.

I didn't see any results really from the pepps after a week. I had what I would classify as mainly larger aiptasia with some small mixed in. Maybe there were working on small aiptasia I couldn't see.

I did an Aiptasia-X treatment last night a prior to going to bed I could see some of the aiptasia I had treated. They still had some of the aiptasia-x I put on them and were looking quite sickly.

When I got up this morning the aiptasia's I treated were gone...or they were very far back in the rock as I couldn't see them. I assume the aiptasia-x killed them and either the snails, emerald crab or peppermint shrimp finished them off.

Just thought I'd reply back with the results I found in case anyone is in the same predicament.

So, I got a peppermint shrimp for my tank, but it didn't kill any of the aptasia. I was told that you can kill them by injecting them with boiling water, but I don't know where to get a syringe. Anyone have any ideas?
You can get them at an animal feed store.

Back
Top Bottom