Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Peppermint Shrimp vs. Aiptasia - Does it work?

Has anyone had luck with peppermint shrimp waging war on aiptasia?

The tank I got is full of aiptasia.

Aquaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I had one single tiny aiptasia and a peppermint shrimp which didnt do anything to it. That shrimp eventually died from unknown reasons and when I replaced him my new peppermint did take care of it. So in my experiance it was 50/50 chance of them taking care of them. But if they aiptasia are huge i dont think a pepermint shrimp could do much. Im not sure on that though.

Check out my tank website HERE
skae310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Depends on the size of the aiptasia. If its a big one, the shrimp probably will ignore it. They will sometimes eat the smaller ones though, it really is hit or miss with them. Best bet is to get some Joe's juice, roll up your sleeves, and get to nuking them.
"If your wife ever asks how much something was for your tank, just tell her you got it on sale and you had to have it! She'll understand"

Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are hit and miss IF you get the correct species.

Peppermint Shrimp Imposters in Saltwater Aquaria: Lysmata wurdemanni is the Real Aiptasia-Eater for the Reef Tank
Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Pepperming shrimp won't solve your tank full of aptasi. Also, DO NOT try to manually rmove them with your hands. That'll break'm up and make them spread even more.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
How to kill Aptasia?

So, I got a peppermint shrimp for my tank, but it didn't kill any of the aptasia. I was told that you can kill them by injecting them with boiling water, but I don't know where to get a syringe. Anyone have any ideas?
Rothrosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Using Kalk paste or Joe's Juice is a better option than using boiling water. Having an animal in your system eat aiptasia is hit or miss.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had luck with my first tank, so I got one for my second tank just in case some pops up ) Plus I think they're a neat addition. Mine have bouts of hiding, but usually come out throughout the day, and even when they're hiding they do they're back and forth dance.
nxb161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
You beat me to it !! I had some small aiptasia in my tank and my pepp took care of it as soon as I turned the lights off for the night. I have 2 in my tank now, and no aiptasia to be seen.

Now majano, thats a different story. Have a small, 15mm or so majano and they won't touch the thing.
milhous3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yeah I have a bunch of aiptasa too. I was thinking about getting a peppermint shrimp once my tank gets up and running

RYANLAWRENCE is offline   Reply With Quote

aiptasia, pepper, peppermint, peppermint shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com