Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2004, 10:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Percula Clown and Anenome

I have two percula clown fish and I just bought an anenome last Saturday. I've had the clown fish for about 2-3 months now. Both tank raised. Is there a way to get them into the anenome? It seems that only one clown fish will go in and the other one just hovers over it, but only when the light is off. When the light is on, both of them don't really approach the anenome. Does the anenome not sting when the light is off and it's curled up?

Also, I have a 24watt bulb for a 15 gallon tank. Is this enough light for the anenome?

The anenome has also positioned itself under the rock with the tentacles facing outward. Is this normal? I also fed it krill. It ate it and then spit it out later.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What type of anenome?

Old 06-08-2004, 11:53 PM   #3

I don't know what type of anenome it is. I'm guessing it's sebae anenome since it's pinkish with purple tips.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

From what I undestand it is not always guaranteed that a clown will take home in an anemone. I am not aware of any tips on getting them to go to it either.

It sounds like you may have a purple tip, I am not sure that they assocaite with them??? I know they do with bubble tips but I thougth purple tips were different. I couldl be wrong though.

Sorry, I was not much help
Christina
tuwhada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd say you should have about 65w 50/50, that would not cost you that much. That lighting is not enough, anemones need a lot of light, like many corals.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:17 PM   #6

From what I've read, you can't really do anything about your percula. They will either take to the anenome or they won't. Hopefully not the later.
I've had a similar experience and it took to the anenome within a week and before I got the anenome, I had the percula for about 5 months.
I usually feed it a piece of shrimp once a week.
As for it being under a rock, there isn't much you can do. If you move the rock, the anenome will just move to where it is comfortable. Just be patience with it and the percula and if it doesn't work out for you, you atleast have a beautiful invert in your tank
Old 06-09-2004, 07:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will need to upgrade your lights very soon. You do not have near the amount of light required for an anemone. Also, it is important that you identify what type it is so we can give you some more specialized advice. It is always a gamble with anemone and clown pairing. A lot of the clowns today are tank raised and have no idea what to do with an anemone. You also need to identify this to see if it is really a hosting anemone or not. How long has your tank been running? What are your water parameters? You may want to rethink the tang and the grouper as your tank is too small to house such fish. good luck and keep us posted on how it goes! Lando
Old 06-09-2004, 07:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Will 2 clowns take to one anemone?
Old 06-09-2004, 07:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've always wondered about the statement that tank bred clownfish won't know about anemones. How do their wild counterparts know about them? Do they just observe other clowns doing it and follow suit, or is it pure instinct? I can't help thinking there's some deep genetics involved (afterall they're immune to the sting), and the tank bred specimens should have the same genetic makeup so maybe they just don't feel the need to host. Try putting on a halloween mask and see if he runs for cover into the anemone

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstocker
Will 2 clowns take to one anemone?
Yep.

Tags
anenome, clown, percula

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« PODS! | Salt creep? »