Percula clown fish, anenomes, and Hawaii.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiko

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to know if Percula clown fish would live in any of the anenomes that are native to the Hawaiian islands.

In Hawaii, it is illegal to import corals and live rock, although foreign fish can be sold in pet stores. So I can't just buy the appropriate anenomes or corals.

im not sure what anemones are native too hawaii but i do know that my perculas havnt gone into my bubble tip yet, apparently it takes a while, some one will tell you, do you know what kinds of anemones are native too hawaii it might speed up some ones ansewer.

The main anemone native to Hawaii is the Heteractis malu? If so a percula will not probabley host in this species. You might get lucky with a tank raised ocellaris though. The natural clown partner for malu is an Amphiprion clarkii.

Are there any species you can post that are native aside from the Malu?

Cheers
Steve

Percula will host on ritteri very well. Not sure if that is native to hawaii or not. They are harder to keep than bubble tips and long ten but you percula should love it. My percula hosted on the ritteri in less than ten minutes. Ritteri like hard rocks and dont' like to stay in the substrate.

Clowns and Anemones

Placing a fake Clown fish near the anemone will entise the Real clown fish to host in it. Like a veggie clip, that looks like the clown fish or a small toy Clown fish, I know it sounds silly but it works, My clown fish were not even thinking about going near my anemone, then I placed the veggie clip near the Anemone (the veggie clip looks like a clown fish) and they took to visiting it in just four days! For real. They can't really hide in it yet, as the Bubble tip is still small.

Back
Top Bottom