Percula Clown Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Two weeks ago I purchased two small Percula Clowns for my 90 gallon reef setup. They currently reside in a 10 gallon qt tank and I plan to move them over to the larger tank in about a week (I read 3 weeks was a good amount of time to quarantine them.) This morning when I went in to turn the light on and feed them, one of them appeared to be dead. He was lying on his side on the bottom of the aquarium. However, when I turned the light on he started moving around like normal. (Just in case I went ahead and performed a 20 % water change thinking that maybe there had been an ammonia build up. I didn't have time to check it). Then I fed them, the same fish didn't eat any of the flake food, so I tried Mysis Shrimp and he gobbled this up. Are these observations normal? Are Percula Clowns noted for being picky eaters?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

awillemd1

He was just sleeping IME.

My two little percs were picky eaters at first, but now they eat a real variety of things. I try to vary their food every day or two (cyclopeez, live baby brine, marine cuisine, silversides, flakes, whatever) and now they will fly to the top of the water even for marine flake!

also here is a neat link regarding this and some other stuff.

http://www.aquariumpros.com/articles/fishfacts.shtml

Many clowns will "sleep" on weird places and positions. If they are WC clowns then it is also normal that they may be a little picky eating at first. Live or frozen brine shrimp are often useful in getting them feeding, but it is important to incorporate more nutritional foods ASAP after they begin eating. The mysis is good, I also feed formula 1, zooplankton, and a homemade mush of various fresh seafoods.

Back
Top Bottom