Percula Clown Stuck in Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
Somehow, 1 of my Percula Clowns got into the overflow area of my tank. I can't get him with the net as there isn't much maneuvering room and it is afraid of the net.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to get it out of there?

fort384 said:
Somehow, 1 of my Percula Clowns got into the overflow area of my tank. I can't get him with the net as there isn't much maneuvering room and it is afraid of the net.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to get it out of there?

Not sure how friendly ur clown is, but mine will come and eat out of my hand maybe hold a piece of food above just at the water line or maybe us a clip and clip a piece in a spot with more room and try to scoop him up as he comes for the food

Yes, correct. Center overflow, with the drain pipe and the return pipe.

If u can remove the pipe put stopper in gives your net more room then once caught replace the net

I don't think I can do that - there is no way I can reach all the way down to get a plug in there unfortunately.

I just tried some food in a net. No dice.

Sigh.

What if I made some room in the sump, and just turned off the return, and pull the drain pipe? Will it hurt the clown to ride down the plumbing into the sump? Then I can just replace the drain pipe and refill?

I don't see why not as long as he's not a fat little fella. Best of luck to you! Poor little heffer :/

Yea that will work put the net at the pipes exit lol. Duh y didn't I think of that

Hocky puck said:
Yea that will work put the net at the pipes exit lol. Duh y didn't I think of that

So I did this. It worked. Must have been quite a ride. I hope the stress doesn't kill him. He is back in the DT and swimming for now.

Thanks for the brain storming session!

He will be fine my snowflake went down the overflow into sump then was attack by a big dogface puffer then hid in the courpala algae for a day I fished him out now 2 weeks later he's healed and happy back with his mate the b+w clown

I had a small PJ cardinal take the overflow ride to my sump last night. No worse for wear

Was there a reason that you didn't just grab it?

Umm, yes. It was in a center overflow with 2 pipes in the way in a tank that is against a wall and 24" deep on top of a 36" stand. I am a pretty big guy, but my arms aren't that long :)

fort384 said:
Umm, yes. It was in a center overflow with 2 pipes in the way in a tank that is against a wall and 24" deep on top of a 36" stand. I am a pretty big guy, but my arms aren't that long :)

Ah, and the reasoning becomes clear. :)

The same thing happen too me I went camping for the weekend and when I got back my nemo was gone so my husband I went and bought a new one this time one that was just a little bigger. Well to make a long story short we were cleaning out the tank and there he was in the overflow box now I have three clown fish in my tank

Back
Top Bottom