Percula Clownfish was attacked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tigger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi.. one of our percula clownfish is at the bottom of the aquarium and has been attacked. Below his eye and near his fin is bloody. We moved him to the quaratine tank. What meds should we give him?

We have:
3 percula clownfish
yellow hawaiian tank
royal gramma
butterfly
clarkii clownfish

The clarkii clownfish is the largest of the clownfish.

Thank you!

Natalie

The clownfish is dead. Which tank mate do you think killed him? Should I be worried about the other percula clownfish? :(

Clarkii's are known to be boisterous...I would say with two different specie of clown in the tank, this may be the case... I am no expert, and it is hard to tell from the description... I would say, sit back away from the tank and watch and see if you see anything wierd going on with the fish...

On another note, do you have any crabs in the tank? Clowns like to lay down and sleep at night,, It could have been happend upon and a crab took a swipe at it...

Many different theories as to what could have happend...

Thank you for the reply. We don't have any crabs in the tank. I have read on this site before about clowns pairing up...maybe this little guy was the odd man out. I've seen the percula clowns chase each other, but never actually connect (take a chunk out of each other).

Natalie

I noticed that 1 of the 2 remaining percula clownfish is quite a bit larger than the other one (more dominant also). He/she chases the smaller percula. They were the same size when we bought them. Is this normal for one of them to grow so much faster?

Thanks

The larger of the 2 will be the female.. It is normal for the Female to be larger than the male..

HTH,
JAmes

Yes it is normal for that to happen. If one fish is dominant over another, then the dominant fish will get its share of the food and more leaving just the scraps for the weaker fish causing it to grow slower.

Back
Top Bottom