Personal experiences with Auriga Butterflies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesR

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to hear from those of you who have an Auriga Butterfly in your aquariums. I am looking forward to having one in my tank, but have been told that I should have a well established tank before adding one.

I plan to get a small one, as I have been told they acclimate better to aquariums.

Would anyone who has an Auriga in their tank be willing to share some info on how hardy they have been for you, how they acclimated to their new surroundings, etc.

My tank is a 125 Gal FOWLR tank housing a clown and a Coral Beauty (+ snails and crabs). I have a refugium, UV, skimmer and some other filtration and use RO water)

Thanks in advance,
Jim

I decieded to put one of these guys in my tank. It was in the LFS for over a month so I felt better about adding him directly to my main tank (no QT yet, I know, I should have one) after drip acclimating him and adding him to my tank, he is doing great! I don't know if this is to do with the health of the fish or the acclimation technique, but he is swimming around and picking at the live rock like crazy.

The lights are out so I can't see his color, but he appears to be doing very well. This is the first fish that I have acclimated this way, so I don't know if that has to do with the drip acclimation, but I am very happy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Anyone else have an auriga, what are their personalities?

Jim

I don't think my auriga is any easier than the rest of my butterflys, but you do have to watch for gill parasites, based on my experiences that is.
Many of my flies had this affliction and hyposalinity would not take care of it so I had to use copper.
(I don't put a fish into my tank until at least quarantined for 4 weeks or more)
Some flies experience a non eating phase at first and it helps to have live brine shrimp availablel, or, clams from the fish market, which I cut in half, placing one half in the tank and the other half in the fridge until needed.

Back
Top Bottom