Pest brisal star fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clown fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi can anyone tell me why my star fish keeps eating my hermit crabs n today my shrimp should I just get rid of it

Hi it's a brisal starfish n a pest so far it's eaten 4 hermit crabs n today my peppermint shrimp I'm at a loss as to what to do

I'd like to keep it I was thinking of put in it in a different tank on it's own for a bit then re introducing it to see if it that works is there a main purpose for um to be in a tank

Not that I know of. lol I just got a long serpent type of starfish, I hope he won't eat inverts. The only starfish I've heard isn't reef safe is the chocolate chip one.

Someone else will chime in I'm sure. :)

What food do you feed yours it mite be a case off I'm not feeding enougth. N need to target feed I'm sure yours will b fine lol

I've only had mine since Friday lol. I was told he would eat whatever I fed the tank with no specific requirements.

You should target feed him with fish flakes. They seem to do the best. Typically they like to hide in a rock and u will hardly ever see him. If he is eating your cuc he must not be getting enough food. Do to scrape the sides of your tank? On my gf tank we don't scrape the sides to aloe some algae to grow. It's like a feeding spot for the cuc and the starfish.

I do scrap the side glass I didn't think of that im going to leave one side for a feeding patch n will start target feeding him how often shall I do this tho as iv not target feed b4

Whenever you feed your fish just take some flakes in your hand and hold them under the water so they sink around the rock that the star fish is at. He will reach his arms out and grab the small pieces

Most of the brittle stars are ok. The ones to watch out for are the green ones. Sometimes called serpent stars. They will eat your entire CUC. People say that they will even eat fish but I haven't seen it for myself. I doubt that they could catch a healthy fish.

Most of the brittle stars are ok. The ones to watch out for are the green ones. Sometimes called serpent stars. They will eat your entire CUC. People say that they will even eat fish but I haven't seen it for myself. I doubt that they could catch a healthy fish.

What type of serpent stars are you talking about? I've had a tiger serpent star in my tank for over a year. I can't account for any missing CUC, let alone a fish. I know there are certain serpent stars that are "hairy" that I think are venemous, not sure if those are the ones, just curious.

I also have a serpent star and so far I havent noticed any missing cuc either. Although I do have alot so who knows lol

Mine was a green serpent star. I think that they are like every other marine creature. Sometimes you can have a peacful specimen from a normally agressive species. And just the opposite is true as well. I have a Yellowtail Damsel that is the most timid fish in my tank. My Condy hasn't bothered anything either. I hate it when people on here immediately jump to "oh my, get rid of that. Take it back". I would say that if you have one and it's not causing a problem, great. Enjoy it. If it becomes a problem, move it.

It is the green serpent starfish to b honest I think it's me not puting enough food in my tank for him other then that he's got an exspensive palet lol I'm going to target feed him for a bit an see if that helps

The starfish is doing what it did out in the wild eat snails and crabs. You might be able to train it to eat other food but in the end it is programed to snails and crabs.

Back
Top Bottom