Pet shop (LFS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Omega

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,

It is my first time here and I hope im posting in the right place to ask for some help.

I am planning on opening a LFS here in South Africa!! I have had a couple of SW setups in my little life so I would see myself as experienced. The only thing is I want to run one big system in the shop maybe allot of small tanks with one big sump to keep the live stock and stuff like that. So I am calling upon my fellow hobbyist's to help me out here to build the best, cleanest LFS system in this world to make this hobby fun for everyone and keep the fish healthy for the customers.

Please Any comments are welcome from cleaning the floors (lol) to using bare bottom tanks or sand or anything you can think of that has put you down in the past or would like in a shop.

Thanks in Advance

The store I work for has four main systems. One for freshwater cold, freshwater tropical, marine fish only, and an invert system. Each tank has a drain screen and are those part of the same system are attached together through pvc piping. The piping is done in a way so that gravity carries the water from the tanks to the sumps in the back. Each sump is fitted with a large powerful pump the return water. The water is first filtered through a micron bag and there are all sorts of other equipment attached to the marine systems.

Each sump, except the invert system sump are equipped with two 6 to 7 foot high towers about 3 feet in diameter filled with bio balls. We use live rock right in the sump for the invert system. The marine systems have chillers, protein skimmers, UV sterilizers, and ozonizers. The freshwater cold system also has a chiller. We might hook a UV sterilizer to it too. Carp type fish can carry a lot of pests. I was lucky enough to find a source of locally bred fantail goldfish. Ones shipped from places like Singapore and Hong Kong seem to be having a more than usual problem with parasites for the past year.

With how our systems are set up, gravel vaccing can be made very simple. We use a long garden hose that can reach all the tanks and drains into a pit where the sumps are at in the back. The sumps are in the ground. A large pit was made (tiled) to put the sumps in and has a few water drains to the city pipes. The garden hose is fitted with a vaccuum cylinder with a valve to control the flow of water. The tanks fill up by themselves. Just need to keep an eye on the sump levels and if they get too low, we just stop vaccuuming and replace the water through the sump. If the water level of the sumps get too low, the pumps run dry and burn out. What a pain in the ass that is...lol.

Another thing that was set up nicely are the air valves for added aeration. We use thin piping behind the tanks and there's a valve every so many inches to match up with a tank. The air pumps are located in the back with the rest of the equipment and heaters for each system are located in the sumps.

What ever you do...do not use undergravel filtering for anything.

A vitality in a LFS are hospital and quarantine tanks to keep the main systems from very upsetting outbreaks of disease. These tanks should only be fitted with heaters, sponge filters and something for the fish to hide in. Stand up systems or 'wall units' would need to be fitted with much bigger bio filtering but the bare tank concept remains the same. The only exceptions are for animals that have to have sand to keep them happy like jaw fish and small wrasses, loaches and eels for example...and always provide non porous objects for hiding. If an animal cannot hide, it will stress...especially if it is weak and/or sick. Non porous objects are less likely to harbor harmful bacteria and parasites as well as easy to clean.

There's so much more to running a LFS. It is very expensive, so be prepared. Do not skimp on equipment to try and save a few bucks. In the end it'll only end up costing you more. Start off with top of the line equipment and do a lot of researching. There's a major difference between the upkeep of a private tank and the upkeep of a public retail outfit.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for the info,

The pit sounds like a very good idea I think I am definitely going to use that.

Any other advice or ideas Especially on the tanks I was thinking of using allot of smaller tanks with u-bend overflows rather than drilled holes from one another or maybe say a 5ft tank with compartments.

And for the non porous objects I take it you are talking about PVC pipes or something like that?

IMO, I think you may find U-Bend overflows to be too much of a hassel when you're dealing with several tanks. They often lose their suction and need to be restarted.

We recently replaced a row of individual tanks in our SW system to a few long tanks with compartments. They work well in better isolating individuals if you manage the population properly. There are still drilled holes though for the in and out takes. These long tanks have I think a half inch or a one inch rim. Helps deter some jumpers while the lids are opened for whatever reason. You would get a lot of those. Anthias and wrasses are perhaps the 'Olympian' jumpers of marine aquarium fish, but all can get surprisingly flighty.

Wholesale warehouses mostly have such tank set ups. A couple of long, wide deep tanks on the bottom and a couple of long thin/narrow tanks on top with separaters. Most are bare tanks with those exceptions of fish and inverts that must have a substrate to grasp onto or get into immediately. Most of these tanks however do not have a hide out at all. For the most part, retail livestock sticks around longer than warehouse livestock so you need to make them more comfy if they are going to do well. Some warehouses do get more involved in taking care of their livestock and do provide somekind of shelter in the form of PVC pipes and grates. Shelving for corals are commonly made of plastic grate. The same kind of grating used to make plenum. PVC pipe has always made good hide outs for all sorts of animals in 'sterile' or medical environments.

Back
Top Bottom