Pet stores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starfish 50

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just wanted your opinion on buying fish or inverts. Do you think it's better to buy from the pet store as soon as they get their stock in from their supplier before they acclimate them ( like their still in the Shipping bags?
Starfish 50

My LFS usually won't sell anything that has just arrived, they like to get everything in their tanks and make sure it is going to survive the trip. Most places will let you put livestock on hold and keep it in their tanks for awhile so you can be sure it is healthy before taking it home.
Although, it would make sense that the fish has just undergone the stress of travel and why put it in the LFS tank wait a few days and then re-subject it to travel stress again when you buy it. I guess the LFS doesn't want to sell you a dying fish, but you don't want to kill the fish with the second trip. Its a vicious circle and I have given myself a headache. Just make sure your LFS has a good return policy.

Thanks for the reply, I have only bought things locally and I know that my local pet stores don't acclimate properly. In only a couple of hours the fish and inverts are set free..... Starfish 50

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

I think it is a mistake to buy fish straight out of the shipping bags simply because the possibility that the fish will die in a few days is very great. I recommend placing a deposit (refunable or transferable) on a particular fish and have the LFS hold it for a week or two, this will give you the opportunity to come visit your fish and make sure it is eating, it doesn't die in your tank and your out the money and you can see if the fish is developing a disease or parasitic infestation, this of course does not replace proper quarantine, but it gives you better odds of low or nil fish mortality.

I agree it is best to wait a bit and make sure they survive the trip.. Right out of the bag off the plane you have really no Idea what it going on with that fish..

Doan

I agree with this for the most part, but if you have had bad exp. with the lfs & disease then it may be better to try it straight from the shipper. I bought some fish from my lfs (not Bernies) and they had ick, lost them all and a few others to boot. When I got my Perc. clowns I had him just float the bags for a couple of hours until I could get down there. All are very healthy and happy. I probally wouldn't do it again (I'd just go to Bernies) but It worked out ok this time. :D

Back
Top Bottom