Petco Real Ocean water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan450z

Aquarium Advice Freak
has anybody used this? They have rebranded it as "imagitarium pacific ocean water" but same stuff. sort of like the natures ocean water they sell at 40/4 gallons but at a fraction of the cost.

Imagitarium Pacific Ocean Water, 5 gallons | Petco Store

I have been using it instead of mixing my own salt water. Salinity is great, clarity is great, but has anybody here tested the chemical makeup?

Kinda pricey, IMO. I use RedSea Coral Pro salt. It costs me a little over $5 in salt per water change on my tank, plus just a few dollars for the RO water (taking into account waste).

This stuff would cost me almost $150 a week for the same amount.

WRT the chemical makeup, all you can do is test for everything that can be tested for...hopefully nothing else has been added (stabilizers, etc).

Sorry if I was confusing. The expensive kind I've ran into is 40 bucks/5 gallon. The cheap one is like 10/5 gallons. I have a 75. Will test it and my full system. Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's a little better, but still probably 4 times the cost (plus gas and time to pick it up).

If making your own isn't an option then I'd say go for it. But if you can get a small RODI and make it, it will pay for itself very quickly.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Australia is so backwards to you guys haha buying salt and ro is so expensive compared to getting natural water it would out to be 5 cents a liter here so to do a 50% change it will cost me around $9

Sent from my ZTE Blade Q Lux using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's ok stuff, as it is over filtered ocean water, but you can save a ton of cash by mixing it yourself.

living in So. Ca. I'm lucky that one of the main suppliers of ocean water is a few miles away on the coast and the cost of the water is cheap, .45/gallon at the LFS I get it at, .50 at another.
Aquarium Salt Water | Real Ocean Saltwater | Commercial Saltwater Delivery
That is about .10 cheaper per gallon than if I mixed it myself.
I've been using it for about 16 months now and no issues at all that are related to the water itself.

Living in a state in the midst of a severe drought that has started to implement water conservation measures, in good conscious I can not see the point in using a RO/DI system considering the waste involved when there is an economical and easy solution locally available.
It just strikes me as being environmentally irresponsible.

for folks in other states, something to consider as fresh water reserves become less or are bought up by Nestle.

here is the analysis of the water for any interested;
Aquarium Salt Water | Real Ocean Saltwater | Commercial Saltwater | Buy Saltwater

I am lucky enough to get filtered sea water from a local aqua culture program for free. It's is not the most pure but it is filtered to 25 microns and I also test it for trates and phosphates before taking it home. Been using it for 3yrs now in my reef with no issues. Once I buy a home I will start mixing my own saltwater but until then I'll keep getting the free stuff.

Water is water, it's what is dissolved in it that matters of course. Many people and even a few commercial aquariums use filtered seawater. As long as it isn't exposed to pollution, it works great. I hear your concern about the drought. With a water purifier, the best you could do is capture the discharge water and use it for almost everything, like flushing toilets and washing dishes. Plants also like the discharge water just fine.

Back
Top Bottom