Petco saltwter ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jsmith said:
Thats. More of an opinion than the fact.. in fact petco is the only large commercial petstore willing to invest in carrying saltwater fish and inverts. Though i know they have a long way to go they will eventually become a major player in the prices of our goods and live stock.

Last time i was in one the reef pods expired 6 months before and they were still on shelf, all saltwater fish had ich there was a dead fish in every tank. Other people on this forum have had similar experience it is my opinion but is also a fact when it come to saltwater

I've gotten lots of fish and invertebrates from Petco with no problems. It all depends on who's in charge of the aquatics area for that particular store. Luckily, one not far from my house is great about their saltwater fish and the guy in charge of aquatics there has his own reef tanks and keeps the tanks there in great shape. Theres a couple other employees there who also have SW tanks of their own. They even stock some corals!! But I've been to another one a little further away that had dead fish and all kinds of algae problems in theirs. Like I said, depends on who's in charge of the tanks.

I bought my black Volitan from a petco and couldnt have been happier with the experience... You cant make broad statements like that when youre speaking from strictly personal experience

I understand hat your saying. Not sure who your talking to though. I was gonna buy a unit and make my own but since a good friend almost like family has owned a mom and pop shop for years I use his water, the same water he uses for his tanks. I'm confident using his water and after 9 months of using his water have never had an issue.

If he ever stops making the water or there's an issue then I'll reconsider.

I think the point he is trying to make is be prepared. The shop where you get it is closed for a 3 day holiday and you have an emergency (not just topoffs) your dependent on others for your tank health. With your own system, you are in control of how its made, when its made, what kind of salt mix you want, and knowing in an emergency you have everything to handle it. See so many post about needed to do an emergency water change to save a tank and they have to wait until morning or a Monday because they have no RODI water and or salt. You are in that boat right now, your tank mainteance/topoffs are dependent on someone else's schedule. Its your tank, your investment..........another advantage to your on RODI unit is that you can set up an auto top off and never have to worry about it again. Plus it will give you a constant specific gravity, and it is one less mainteance issue that you have to deal with. The more variables you can eliminate, the smoother things will run.

Back
Top Bottom