Petco saltwter ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
My guy is going on vacation. I always get my water pre mixed from him (5 gallons).

Would one weekend be ok using Petco SW water rather then skipping it?

Thanks

Convict2161 said:
My guy is going on vacation. I always get my water pre mixed from him (5 gallons).

Would one weekend be ok using Petco SW water rather then skipping it?

Thanks

Skip it to double up

Thanks!!

I'll just skip it.... Don't wanna ruin a good thing. Do you thing it will be ok for 2 weeks? I'm nervous cause the tank has been doing great and I don't wanna bump in the road so to speak.

Sniperhank said:
With all the filtration you have it should be ok...space out feedings some more to ensure?

Hank once again perfect way of saying. Cut feeding in half.. half the available nitrates half the needing for a water change.

I use Petco water as my top off and have done some water changes with it.

Sniperhank said:
You shouldn't be topping off with saltwater, you're just jacking up your salinity. Salt doesn't evaporate.

Thanks I realize that now. It's up gotta do a change

I do a 15 gallon change in my 90 gallon tank every week when I can but I work in the oilfield so I am sometimes gone for 2-3 weeks at a time and mine does fine without doing a change while i'm gone. I would wait for your guy to get back

PurplePolyp said:
I do a 15 gallon change in my 90 gallon tank every week when I can but I work in the oilfield so I am sometimes gone for 2-3 weeks at a time and mine does fine without doing a change while i'm gone. I would wait for your guy to get back

Thanks for your advice. I'm gonna just wait.

get a rodi unit and be in control of your reef. When you use outside sources for water you are at the mercy of a $6 employee who could care less about your tank. Bite the bullet and in 6 months you will start to save money

I understand hat your saying. Not sure who your talking to though. I was gonna buy a unit and make my own but since a good friend almost like family has owned a mom and pop shop for years I use his water, the same water he uses for his tanks. I'm confident using his water and after 9 months of using his water have never had an issue.

If he ever stops making the water or there's an issue then I'll reconsider.

bavass said:
Nothing is good from petco

Thats. More of an opinion than the fact.. in fact petco is the only large commercial petstore willing to invest in carrying saltwater fish and inverts. Though i know they have a long way to go they will eventually become a major player in the prices of our goods and live stock.

Back
Top Bottom