PFS vs. Aragonite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aragonite has a buffering property which will dissolve in a low pH to keep the pH from falling very low.

If i remember correctly, the point at which this happens is low to begin with. If your tank gets to that point and has a pH crash, there are some serious problems to consider.

I think pfs is fine. It's a lot cheaper and works great. I however am not a fan of the color and the course nature of it. I wouldn't want my gobies sifting that course a sand. Other folks seem ok with it. It's just a personal choice.

I have 2 tanks currently running with pool filter sand and have had no issues whatsoever. My sifters dont notice the difference and I happen to like the look and texture of the stuff i found. So win win for me! lol

carey said:
I have 2 tanks currently running with pool filter sand and have had no issues whatsoever. My sifters dont notice the difference and I happen to like the look and texture of the stuff i found. So win win for me! lol

Lucky! The pfs I've been able to find out here has been courser than play sand :/. Shipping charges on nice pfs wasn't happening so I've been buying aragonite.

Another advantage of aragonite is that some of it naturally comes in other colors. If I ever redo my 36, I'm thinking about doing it with black sand. Pink is another option. Aside from these, any other colored sand contains dyes which can polute your tank over time.

I have a pico with black and its just too hard to keep clean, EVERYTHING shows..

My ph is naturally high 8.0-8.2, I may go with aragonite just for looks alone though. I know most people use it to raise ph, I just don't think I need it for that.. And I have a bunch of pfs, my pool shop sells it in 50lb bags for $10,.and I still have over half a bag.

Also, how deep should I have my sand bed?

I used pfs for my base and picked up bags of colored sand from Petco to put on top of it. Works out great for me and if all else fails mix it together and it still looks really cool.

Well I went with aragonite, I found one major difference. Its much dustier than PFS...

ForumRunner_20120602_224327.jpg

I have 4 filters trying to clear it up. Thought I rinsed it well! Obviously not well enough..

Once it clears up I think ill love it!

AquaRick said:
Hows the sand settling? Has it cleared up yet?

Yeah, its doing a lot better! I just kept letting it clear up, then I'd rinse the filters, and kinda comb/stir the sand and repeat. I'm trying to upload a picture but the app crashes when I try right now..

*edit*
Well apparently every time it crashed it actually add the picture.. So its on there three times.. This isn't exactly how it is now, that was right after I put the rock in. Its even clearer and the rocks have changed a little.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120606_001956.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120606_001956.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 101
  • ForumRunner_20120606_002021.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120606_002021.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20120606_002050.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120606_002050.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 93
AquaRick said:
Nice! How far along are you on your cycle?

Well yesterday morning ammonia was at 1ppm. All I've done I'd put two cubes of mysis shrimp in a media bag, I did that monday. I have no live rock though, just base., I may end up getting since today

00youknowit00 said:
Well yesterday morning ammonia was at 1ppm. All I've done I'd put two cubes of mysis shrimp in a media bag, I did that monday. I have no live rock though, just base., I may end up getting since today

Sounds good. You just need a few lbs of live rock to help seed.
Obviously the more the better, but it'll all become live over time.

If you're only at 1ppm ammonia you're going to need more. A raw uncooked shrimp or two will help, or a couple more cubes of mysis.

AquaRick said:
Sounds good. You just need a few lbs of live rock to help seed.
Obviously the more the better, but it'll all become live over time.

If you're only at 1ppm ammonia you're going to need more. A raw uncooked shrimp or two will help, or a couple more cubes of mysis.

Just got back from my lfs, got 3lbs of live rock, and some pure ammonia!

Nice! Pure ammonia is the easiest way to go. Use small amounts. A few drops goes a long way.

AquaRick said:
Nice! Pure ammonia is the easiest way to go. Use small amounts. A few drops goes a long way.

That's my feelings too!

Hopefully you know more about lights than me, so do you think 4 x 24w bulbs would be enough light? 2 x actinic 2 x 10000k.

Your lighting depends on what kind of corals (if any) you want to keep. SPS, LPS, Softies, Clams, Anenomes?

AquaRick said:
Your lighting depends on what kind of corals (if any) you want to keep. SPS, LPS, Softies, Clams, Anenomes?

I do want corals, I really like zoas, I'm not gonna lie, I don't know a whole lot about corals, so lps and sps don't mean a whole lot to me.. I do know what they stand for though. Haha

I guess this would be easier. Would that light set up allow me to keep zoas, or anything for that matter?

With a 4 bulb T5 fixture, you can handle zoas easy. You're probably going to be ok with some types of LPS maybe higher up the rock work. Maybe a few easy SPS at the highest level of your rock. Clams aren't happening. Anemones might work at the highest part of your rock as well.

AquaRick said:
With a 4 bulb T5 fixture, you can handle zoas easy. You're probably going to be ok with some types of LPS maybe higher up the rock work. Maybe a few easy SPS at the highest level of your rock. Clams aren't happening. Anemones might work at the highest part of your rock as well.

Okay great! Not too interested in clams anyways.

So pretty much zoas, and lower light lps and sps higher up on the rock? And possibly a lower light anemone on my tallest rock. Sounds good to me!

Back
Top Bottom