Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Joemama16341 Send a message via MSN to Joemama16341
I use Instant Ocean and try to keep it about 1.024

Old 02-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #12
steve-s

You may have gotten a bad batch of salt then. I would contact the manufacturer. IO typically has a very good pH and rather high alk no matter the water source used. Anything below 8.0 would indicate something amiss with the salt itself.

When you prepare the SW do you have a powerhead & heater in the bucket and is it covered or uncovered? Mixed for at least 24 hrs?

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-16-2005, 10:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't use a powerhead I just don't have the extra money to buy one just for that use for mixing water right now. I plan on adding 3 more powerheads at the end of the month. Two of them for my tank (giving me 4) and 1 for mixing water. Right now when I mix water I use a airstrip and a heater and occasionally mix it up with a spatchula to make sure all the salt gets mixed in.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh I stopped at the local fish store today and bought some SeaBuffer to sabilize my ph and now my proteinskimmer is going nuts. Is this normal? I only used half the recommended dosage because my PH is at the proper level now.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:33 AM   #15
steve-s

Seabuffer unto itself shouldn't affect the skimmer at all. Not sure what has happened there unless a chemical imbalance causing precip and the skimmer is trying to remove it.

As far as your newly mixed SW is concerned, you shouldn't use buffers for a pH related problem. They also raise alkalinity at the same time and in doing so you may inadvertantly raise alk to dangerous levels that can harm the animals.

Sounds to me like your main issue is not with the salt but with how your preparing it. If mixed properly and allowed to aerate, the pH should stabalize above 8.0 without chemical tweeking. An airstrip and the occasional stir isn't going to be enough to blow off ambient CO2. You really need to get a powerhead in there for it to mix properly.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com