PH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tooldini

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,, I did my test after a few weeks and my PH is only at 8.0 is this a big problem? Also if so what do I need to do to raise it up. My other readings were
Nitrite= 0
Nitrate= 0
Ammonia= 0
these are the only tests I do at this time. The tank is a little over 3 months old. Everything seems fine in the tank except for some of my Clove polyps seem to be dead or they look like they became stiff but the colony is still growing all the time. Thanks for any help

Jeff

You can add a buffer to raise the PH. It should be around 8.2 for saltwater. I use Kent Marine superbuffer, but the lfs will have lots of choices.

I'm sure is probably a natural way to do it, but I'm not aware of it. Experts?

You need to test alkalinity before you add any buffers. since you have corals, you should have a calcium test kit too.

Ok thanks guys I guess I need to get an akalenity test, magnesium test, calcium additive, and possibily a buffer. Normally my PH was at 8.2-8.3 range but I went about 4 weeks with out tests :( but still no danger level. What should my akalenity read before I need to add or not add buffer for PH?

thanks
Jeff

If the alk level is between 2-3 mEq/l, then your pH issue will not be chemical. Environmental causes are your main problems. If you do anykind of regular water changes (weekly?), your chemistry can still be off but most likely not the cause unless very high or very low. Adding buffers to correct pH issues is the wrong way to go about it unless your outside NSW values.

When you get the test kits, please post the numbers for the tank as well as your saltmix. Also give a rundown on how the tank is set up as this will have more to do with it than anything.

Be sure when testing pH it is done relatively the same time each day to guage stability. pH fluctuates throughout the day being at it's lowest point in the early AM and climbing throughtout the length of the photoperiod. Testing at the same time each time a reading is taken will give you a more accurate means of reporting.

What time of day are you testing the pH?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks alot,, I will keep you posted. This is kinda new to me and very very interesting to me. I love my mini reef.

thanks
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom