Ph 8.35 - 8.49

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Lately the PH of my tank has made huge daily swings but mainly stays in the high .3 to low .4. All winter and honestly sense I setup my apex in the fall my ph has stayed below 8.3 in a range to 8.1. For whatever reason my ph seems to be rising with yesterday ph reaching 8.49. Not sure exactly what causes this but I'd love to learn. Aside from that I'll be getting some ph calibration solution for my probe.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Like stated, fresh air coming into the house. Ph is controlled by CO2 exchange. During the winter we close up our homes and run a big heater to keep warm. More CO2 is then in the house which then lowers the pH in our tanks. When warmer weather comes, we open up the windows and doors and with fresh air comes more 'normal' pH levels.

With that said, pH also fluctuates through the day. If this is something you believe you need to track, which it is something I don't believe needs to be, you need to make sure you check it at the same time daily so you are getting a more consistent reading in terms of what is going on in your tank.

Thanks for the responses. Glad to know this is more due to a natural cause then something I may have done. Especially sense I haven't really been doing much to my tank. But I have always heard keeping your PH within a certain range was essential to the tank. While not necessarily chasing specific numbers I heard the range should stay between 7.9-8.5

As for recording ph and accurate records the apex constantly graphs my ph throughout the day. So I can see if it was me dosing ALK or if something weird I did may spike it. But when checking them it just always seemed higher then it has been. Which like you guys said is explained because we have definitely been keeping the windows open.

I'll still get some calibration solution as it's probably time to recalibrate anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom