Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2005, 06:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, so far today I tested the ph at 3:30 (close to my usual time) and I see a tiny increase. When it comes to color it's a judgment issue but I think it's a little closer to 8 not but not an exact match to the color card as being 8. I will keep all your info in mind. I will start with the aeration and if I get to the lfs today I'll pick up the other items, calc test and buffer if they are not too expensive just to have them on hand.

Steve - about how long should I work with the aeration and testing the ph before I see it at a better level? A week or so? Am I harming my fish at the current level? What is the best level to acheive?

Thanks for hanging in there with me!!!!

Old 04-24-2005, 12:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

tested the calcium and came up with 420 mg/l tonight.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourmyclowns
about how long should I work with the aeration and testing the ph before I see it at a better level? A week or so?
Souldn't take too long. Once the fan is going 24/7 and the powerhead is added for surface aggitation it should take more than a few days. Might also try keeping a window open in that room when possible. Be sure you cut down on organics as well.

Quote:
Am I harming my fish at the current level? What is the best level to acheive?
8.1-8.3 midway through the photoperiod is ideal but anything above 8.0 during the day is fine. It's not uncommon for it to go higher near the end of the photoperiod. Test the pH just before lights on to see what the pH level is then. That will tell you how low it's getting at night and if there is any danger. Commonly it will dip to 7.8-7.9 at night without problems to the inhabitants. How long is the photoperiod?

Quote:
tested the calcium and came up with 420 mg/l tonight.
Not bad at all. The alk needs a bit of a tweek but nothing significant. At least it shows the chemistry is not the cause. You can use this calulator to help regain a better balance. Just keep in mind your not looking for exact numbers, simpley be in the right range of balance.
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-25-2005, 07:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

oops - didn't see your post until after I posted this!

tested ph today and it's still at 8.0. Running the fan 24/7 and added a small pump near the surface.Chgd 10% yesterday.

I'll test in the AM tomorrow. Photoperiod is 12hrs 9am-9pm.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

ph this morning before turning on the lights was 7.7
Old 04-26-2005, 07:12 PM   #16
steve-s

A tad low for the early AM but nothing I would panic about as long as the daytime pH is 8.0+. Give it a few more days with what's been discussed and see how it goes. Even if you can get the average low to 7.8, it will be good enough.

Curious, Do you have any algaes in the tank? Can you post a pic of your open hood area?

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I do have two types of algae in the tank. I see some (not a huge amount)green algae on the back (we don't scrape the back) and we've had some brown algae on the sand since the sand settled. We are trying to be patient and wait for it to "burn off". I'll try to get a good pict of the back.

http://community.webshots.com/user/momndaboyz
Old 04-26-2005, 08:13 PM   #18
steve-s

Since your tank was recently moved, it will no doubt have had some changes and growing pains yet. The algaes blooms are evidence of that unless you've been using tap water? I would not be too alarmed at this point. Sounds as though you have added some new sand and such might have been some die off in the move as well. It just needs time to stabalize.

How about the pic of the open area of the hood?

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-26-2005, 08:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, picts are posted on Webshots, the like is above . We only use RO water and I believe the prev. owner did the same since he recommended it. It's possible there was some tap at one time though. The sand came with it.We've had it since the first week of March.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:38 PM   #20
steve-s

Even though all original, a moved tank still needs to "settle" again so to speak.

Was the surface aggitation always that brisk or the the result of the added powerhead? Does the room the tanks in usually have the windows opened or closed?

Cheers
Steve

Tags
methods

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com