PH Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 125 gal with 3 PH's - two 850 (I think) Koralias at the top and one 1200 maxi jet on the back bottom left to hit behind the rock.

Is that enough flow? Do I need more PH's? Stronger ones?

I have soft and LPS corals in the tank and most are doing fine but they're not flourishing. I am getting replacement bulbs because that's one issue. Need to clean my reflectors and I'm buying a skimmer to replace my POJ I have now. Lots of rehab

I have a 125 gal with 3 PH's - two 850 (I think) Koralias at the top and one 1200 maxi jet on the back bottom left to hit behind the rock. Is that enough flow? Do I need more PH's? Stronger ones? I have soft and LPS corals in the tank and most are doing fine but they're not flourishing. I am getting replacement bulbs because that's one issue. Need to clean my reflectors and I'm buying a skimmer to replace my POJ I have now. Lots of rehab
You turnover rate is 23ish so it should be ideal for LPS and softies. Mine is 45 for sps and anemone. My LPS weren't doing great but once I put them in caves they started to color up. That tells me the flow was too strong for them and possibly the light too. So I think you are ok.

If you are finding you have detritus building up on the rocks and sand bed then I would increase the flow.
If this was my tank, I would probably have twice the flow.

If you are finding you have detritus building up on the rocks and sand bed then I would increase the flow. If this was my tank, I would probably have twice the flow.

Ok. I tend to agree. The question is more PH's or stronger ones?

Well, if you don't mind the look of extra pumps in the tank, then more would be my choice. Otherwise, replacing the originals with stronger ones would be necessary.

Well, if you don't mind the look of extra pumps in the tank, then more would be my choice. Otherwise, replacing the originals with stronger ones would be necessary.

So, if I have 3 x 850 that's 2550. If I went 3x1150 that's 3450 and if I went 3x1500, that's 4500 or almost double plus my two returns.

Thanks for the advice. I will get two 1500's and upgrade the third at a later date.

LOL I came in late but thats what I would have said. :) I was running 2 1400s in mine and it seemed to keep everything moving. As X said, you dont want any kind of buildup on your sand or rocks.

LOL I came in late but thats what I would have said. :) I was running 2 1400s in mine and it seemed to keep everything moving. As X said, you dont want any kind of buildup on your sand or rocks.

Thanks Carey.

Here's another question. If I got an ecotech MP10 for the left side of the tank, would that be enough to create waves in my 125? It says it goes up to 1575gph which is the same as a koralia but the ecotech can also act as a wave maker. I won't drop the money for a mp40 but I'm considering the MP10 if it will make an improvement in the system.

I dont think youd be happy with a single mp10. I have one running on my 60g and its ok, I dont utilize all the bells and whistles though. I prefer the koralias to be honest. Not sure how thick the glass is on your 125g either, the mp10 might not stick to thick glass like that. I am currently running a single wp40 jebao on my 180g and getting another one in 2 weeks. Thats another option and it comes with a controller. About $90 unless you can find a group buy for them.

I dont think youd be happy with a single mp10. I have one running on my 60g and its ok, I dont utilize all the bells and whistles though. I prefer the koralias to be honest. Not sure how thick the glass is on your 125g either, the mp10 might not stick to thick glass like that. I am currently running a single wp40 jebao on my 180g and getting another one in 2 weeks. Thats another option and it comes with a controller. About $90 unless you can find a group buy for them.
Much better price! So, are you saying all I would need is one jebao for the 125g? To replace the 3 PH's I have now?

I need to better understand where to place the PH's

I had adequate flow with the wp40 as the only powerhead, but I tend to like ALOT of flow. I cutrrently have the wo40 in my new 180g I just setup and am going to run two in there.
Based on what i saw with the wp in my 125g I would get two. The wp20 is a little less cash but its about half as strong as the 40 I believe. But keep in mind both would be totally adjustable, maybe not as precise as the vortech but you can dial it down and it has different settings for different types of flow, then you adjust the intensity.

I had adequate flow with the wp40 as the only powerhead, but I tend to like ALOT of flow. I cutrrently have the wo40 in my new 180g I just setup and am going to run two in there. Based on what i saw with the wp in my 125g I would get two. The wp20 is a little less cash but its about half as strong as the 40 I believe. But keep in mind both would be totally adjustable, maybe not as precise as the vortech but you can dial it down and it has different settings for different types of flow, then you adjust the intensity.

Found a set of two on eBay for $160 and bought it a few hours ago!

So I'll place them side by side and try to adjust the controllers to the same "wavelength?"

I will have mine on opposite sides of the tank, I dont make the waves or anything though lol. I just use them for the great water movement. I will probably start messing with it one day soon I bet, just to see what it can do.

Back
Top Bottom