Ph/alkalinity buffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will starting to add one to the tank now shock and kill my snails, crabs, and shrimp? My ph is only at 7.8

My ph is a steady 7.8 to 8.0 at the end of the day. Everyone has told me no to mess with buffers and to just let it be.

Do you have good water agitation on the waters surface? That can help raise the ph. Also, are you running with lids on the tank?

It makes me worry with it so low in my tank, but if it's consistent that's a plus. One of the moderators said this to me "Don't chase the ph" and I have to agree. :)

Dosing stuff to raise the ph will just cause swings.

I wondered about buffers as well because mine is at 8 normally and thought things would be better off at 8.3 but io sale mix with a ph buffer equals dkh around 12. I do.r like that

Although my corals seem to brighten up since running my ph higher. Especially the chalices. I can't get it above 8 any other way thou

Although my corals seem to brighten up since running my ph higher. Especially the chalices. I can't get it above 8 any other way thou

How often are you doing water changes? If you do a weekly change then the parameters like calcium, magnesium, alkalinity and ph will be fine.

The tank is only a few weeks so I've only done one 60% at the end of the cycle to get rid of nitrate.

10 to 25 percent every week but my ph stays the same. The salt I use seems to be high in alk. What do u use io right

I used to use I/O reef crystals but I will be switching to Red sea reef salt.

I have a good amount of corals and only within the last few months did the alk/cal start to drop between water changes.

This is my first sw tank so I'm trying to get my perameters at suggested levels on live aquaria and other big websites like that until I get a "feel" for it and then I'll adjust if I need to. I am going to try the buffer. Do you think that the ph change will shock and kill the shrimp crabs and snails?

I wouldn't do the buffer honestly till it runs alittle. Urs may stay high. I went out and spent 300 on a scylimia and another three on a 1 inch frag of a type of chalice. I was feeling I should be extra careful about the parameters. I'm thinking of stopping the buffer and keying it settle gradually over a week or so. I don't like the high alk

Oh yeah I think I'm switching also. I think ill have to order it online. I love recieving packages online. I almost can't wait till they get here

Idk then... It seems weird leaving my ph at 7.8. Will it shock everything if I start it??????

There's always a chance in my opinion, remember once you start dosing you will have to be very diligent about it. It should be done at the same time everyday as well. I bet you have more swings with adding buffers though and THAT can hurt your livestock going up and down every day or every other day.

I changed my mind... I'm not going to do it. It's goin back to petco. The research that I've just now been doing tells me that a stable ph that's a little bit off is better than a ph that changes in and out of the perfect levels.

Back
Top Bottom