PH & ALK of Top off water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont dose for that. Mine stays pretty much on target with just weekly PWC`s. Where is your`s at that you think you need to dose for?

My top off water alk is 3 and ph is around 7. I was just curious if people bring the ro/di number up closer to the tanks numbers or just leave them be.

As far as the PH that seems right for FW. You`ll get the desired 8.2 - 8.4 when you mix in the salt mix for PWC`s. What is your alk and PH on freshly made SW and your tank water. Just wondering

I pre mix my PWC and use a ph to adjust the pH of that water....not sure about Alk.

I was referring to the RO/DI top off water that goes in the tank to replace evaporated water. Do you typically bring the PH or ALK up on that? My tank water has a PH of 8.0 - 8.3
I was just thinking maybe it would be more stable if my top off water had a higher PH and ALK.

I don't do anything to my DI water for top offs. My pH and alk are very stable from day to day, though I do dose a 2-part for ca/alk every day.

If you buffer your top off water, it's like dosing alk into your tank. When water evaporates, I don't think the sodium carbonate evaporates with it. I would think buffering top off water can easily throw your alk/ca balance out of whack.

Thanks, I'll keep doing what I have been doing then which is leave the top off water as is, and dose the tank for alk and calcium

Roka, what do you dose with? Are you dosing to raise or lower?
I hate to high jack the thread here, but I have noticed that my Ph has been slowly creeping lower and lower. Last night it was 7.9! I have been researching and there is lots of info about why Ph goes up, but not why it drops. I have been blaming it on some macro algae I got last month. Can anyone suggest reading on how to raise ph and what causes it to go low? I have been adding more an more coral too. Could that be it?

More surface ripple will help to raise the pH. I don't dose my tank with anything, just pre mix my water and use a ph to get the correct pH as my tank.

Roka, Oh, I misunderstood you. Thanks for clarifying, I do that too. I thought that the increased surface ripple decreased your Ph?
cccapt, Thanks for the article that is exactly what I was looking for. I will read it this evening.

The more surface ripple, the more O2 exchange, thus the higher pH.

Back
Top Bottom