Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ph and baking soda

I read that adding one teaspoon of baking soda per 20gal one time a week is the most easy and safest buffering method and will keep ph perfect anyone here use that method?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have used it to nudge a tanks ph higher. It worked fine for me, just go slowly. Kh went up too.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did that early on with my tank. Really screwed up my calcium/alkalinity balance. The two go hand in hand and if you mess one up (alkalinity, with the baking soda) the other will be effected too.

Unless you're having a pH issue, I'd just avoid the baking soda. If you are having an issue, then I'd try to find the root cause. If you do decide to go with the baking soda, make sure you have an alkalinity test kit, and keep tabs on it.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
I did that early on with my tank. Really screwed up my calcium/alkalinity balance. The two go hand in hand and if you mess one up (alkalinity, with the baking soda) the other will be effected too.

Unless you're having a pH issue, I'd just avoid the baking soda. If you are having an issue, then I'd try to find the root cause. If you do decide to go with the baking soda, make sure you have an alkalinity test kit, and keep tabs on it.
Cool thanks bud
Old 04-06-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I used it a couple of times to tweak my ph up a bit. Never used more than 3-4 tablespoons in 300 gallons of water though. My alkalinity was also low, so the baking soda did help with that some as well. I had a very old tank I was maintaining for a commercial property and the water had gone pretty acidic. Followed up the quick fix by water changes and thorough cleanup.

I also use a two part calcium product that works great if you like calcareous algae.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com