PH Balance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwilliams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the recommended PH for Saltwater Tanks and the Alkalinity?
How do you keep it a constant?

The generally accepted pH level in a basic saltwater system is between 7.6 and 8.4, but reef tanks are a more sensitive, and therefore need to be kept at the higher end of the pH scale, 8.0 to 8.4.

Thanks mine is at 8.0 and has been there for sometime but the LFS where I take to get my water tested they said I need to do buffering to raise it up for 3-4 days. I am slowing getting corals in my tank to where it will be half and half, Corals-Fish-LR....

Best time to measure your PH is right before you turn your lights out for the night. The ph of the tank will start out low (7.8-8.0) in the morning, but as the day goes on it will rise as the algae and other critters produce oxygen from the light. Only time I would say you need to worry is if your reading low at the end of the day. That means your not getting good gas exchange and may want to aim a powerhead at the surface to agitate it a bit.

I usually have my testing done during the mid-day range 1pm sometimes later. Thanks I will start having my testing done late evening hours. I have my Hydor at the top of the tank pointing straight across the top of the water is that not correct?

I don't know about rippling if it does it is a tiny bit... Will change the direction of the Hydor when I get home from work this evening....
I am not sure how to draw on Pictures that have been saved on the computers but here is a view of my tank as you can see the only side that might have some type of ripples would be where the Penquion filter is at. Right Side of tank.

Attachments

• Tank View.jpg
    Tank View.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 429
Back
Top Bottom