PH Balanced for a fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cybercron

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I have been battling with my PH since I set up my tank (7 months ago). I cannot seem to get my PH above 8.2. I have been adding Seachem's Marine Buff 8.3 and RedSea's success buff weekly to stabilize the PH.

When I test my top of water the test is a vibrant purple 8.3/8.4. When I test my tank it is always a dull reddish purple.

Is this just the nature of saltwater or am I doing something wrong.

Van

Not a matter of something you have done. It could simpley be the time of day you are testing the ph.

The best times to test are midday and late afternoon as ph will have had time to come up from the early morning.

Just before the lights go on, the ph will be at it's lowest point. Without light, algaes produce CO2 much like houseplants and during the day produce O2. The CO2 acts against the ph and lowers it. Once the lights come on, the same algaes begin O2 production again and help increase the ph.

I would also ask if you have a decent enough water flow at the surface for gas exchange and if the is no sump, are you using a glass cover on the tank?

Cheers
Steve

Made some adjustments

I first noticed the PH issue after I installed a new lighting system. I installed a glass cover to accommodate the new light bar. There is very little area exposed to the outside world with the glass cover in place.

I added an additional Aquaclear 402 powerhead and cranked up the bubble tube.

I will check my PH tomorrow afternoon to see if the increased airflow effects the reading.

Thanks for your response!

Van

Re: Made some adjustments

cybercron said:
I added an additional Aquaclear 402 powerhead and cranked up the bubble tube.

This is most likely not going to alleviate the problem. Adding the power head is good, but the "bubbles" will not. In most all cases the more surface water area exposed to the "outside" air is all that is required to fix the problem.

I would instead suggest going to the local hardware store or lighting centre in your area and picking up some eggcrate material. It can be used in the same fashion and cut to shape allowing all the light in. It also has the added benifit of not impeding proper gas exchange as well as keeping "wayward" fish in.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom