Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Man schism im really sorry to hear about this! Hopefully you can escape this accident without any losses, im glad you were able to fix the problem so quickly! Good luck dude

Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Man schism im really sorry to hear about this! Hopefully you can escape this accident without any losses, im glad you were able to fix the problem so quickly! Good luck dude
Thanks nu nu. So far so good but time will tell. Was trying to help my tank today and managed to almost kill it lol.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea wow really sorry to hear about this mix-up. Hopefully your quick reaction to this situation will prove to have limited the damage. Just curious as to why you were using vinegar in the first place? I've never heard of an application for its use before in SW.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, really sorry to hear that. Sounds like you reacted fast to it and hopefully recover fully. I sympathize all too much cuz I did something similar s decade ago. I had s RO 1 membrane purifier that connected to my kitchen faucet with about 20' of hose I used to use. I purified about 20 gallons and added to my 125 fowler tank only to realize later I had the hose coiled up but not connected to the filter. I ha added all tap water! Worse yet next day I had my purple tang, emperor angel, and about 4 other fish dead. So I sure hope you have no I'll effects.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffers
Yea wow really sorry to hear about this mix-up. Hopefully your quick reaction to this situation will prove to have limited the damage. Just curious as to why you were using vinegar in the first place? I've never heard of an application for its use before in SW.
Thanks.

As for vinegar use, it is a very good and normally safe acid that is good for cleaning equipment. Because its an acid it will break up and remove all those hard tough calcium deposits such as coralline algae. Doing this every 6 months or ao will keep things in smooth working order. My skimmer pump is running my smoother and quieter now.

Its other use in saltwater is carbon dosing. Vinegar can be added as a carbon source to reduce nitrates and phosphates. (not what i use it for)

Also just to be clear im talking about distilled white vinegar.

Hope that helps
Old 08-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs
Wow, really sorry to hear that. Sounds like you reacted fast to it and hopefully recover fully. I sympathize all too much cuz I did something similar s decade ago. I had s RO 1 membrane purifier that connected to my kitchen faucet with about 20' of hose I used to use. I purified about 20 gallons and added to my 125 fowler tank only to realize later I had the hose coiled up but not connected to the filter. I ha added all tap water! Worse yet next day I had my purple tang, emperor angel, and about 4 other fish dead. So I sure hope you have no I'll effects.
Wow that must have hurt. Crazy how the little things we are used to doing end up causing the biggest problems when we slip up. Ive clean my equipment probably hundreds of times like this but this time an innocent loss of focus caused major problems.

I plan around worse case scenarios but this is one i wasnt expecting.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just be thankful that ph probe was there. Makes me want to buy one!!!! This would
Be a good advertisement lol.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
Just be thankful that ph probe was there. Makes me want to buy one!!!! This would
Be a good advertisement lol.
Lol yeah thats why its there, redundancy built it a tank can save a tank. With the ph probe and the reefkeeper alerting me, it probably would jave taken me much longer to figure out, by the time i would have figured it out i probably would have lost a few fish. If i figured it out....

Reefkeeper or any controller really is well worth the investment. Takes a lot of 'what ifs' and worries off your mind.

Kalk comes in second place allowing me to remedy the problem quickly. I dont really know of another way I could have raised my pH that much that fast. Cheap too

Just checked the tank with the moonlights on. Sps has polyps out and looking like nothing even happened. Only coral that does not appear well is my hammer but i think he will come around. Fish are breathing normally and showing normal behavior. Ph holding around 8.0
Old 08-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I keep a small bottle of dry buffer and a few bottles of carbonated water on hand just in case I mess up somehow. Fewer side effects with these and they're cheap & readily available.

Don't forget to check your calcium & Alk and adjust your dosing.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM
I keep a small bottle of dry buffer and a few bottles of carbonated water on hand just in case I mess up somehow. Fewer side effects with these and they're cheap & readily available.

Don't forget to check your calcium & Alk and adjust your dosing.
I stopped the kalk drip after the first hour when ph climbed back to 8.0. Buffer would have raised my alk too high i believe. Kalk is actually a pretty cheap and effective mix for maintaining calcium alk and ph. Not so good at actually raising alk and calcium tho. Ive never played much with buffers. I have a 1 gallon tub of kalk so for me its readily available. But thats just me.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com