Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
This could be relevant but I'm not sure. I used to use an acclimation method for fish that were shipped across the country called ammonia acclimation. I learned it from an international Florida live animal importer. What you do, simplified, is to take the fish that arrived from the bags and pour them into a styrofoam box then test the pH with a meter. Sometimes it was below 6. Then I would take tank water and add muriatic acid until the pH matched the water that the fish came in. I then drip acclimated them to allow them to safely flush out the ammonia that was in their tissue. Ammonia is incredibly destructive to saltwater fish at normal pH levels but not at low pH levels. You then discard most of the ammonia diluted low pH water and re-acclimate them with higher pH water (about 7-7.5), then pour out the water again and acclimate them a final time with regular tank water. The survival rate that came from all this work was draaaastically higher than any other method I know of but the big benefit was much less fish illness.

I'm just telling you this because I know that fish trapped in a bag with very low pH, high ammonia and low oxygen can survive just fine if the ammonia is dealt with. The brief low pH drop you had shouldn't harm them much if at all the way you handled it. I wish I knew what to tell you about your corals but I think most if them will recover. I can't say that I know a single reefer, including myself, who could've done as good of a job as you did. Plus you were already exhausted when all this went down. Thumbs up!
Thanks a bunch man.

Ive actually never heard of that method but it seems to make sense. I think the sudden drop just shocked them badly but once the ph climbed to about the 7.0-7.5 range they picked themselves up off the sand bed and began swimming like normal.

If it would have been a much more gradual decline then i suspect they would have been fine just like the bagged fish. But i watched it drop in minutes that low, even i was shocked so i can only imagine the fish were too lol.

Was crazy how fast they went down hill and back to normal again. Everything seems fine now, just trying to deal with the bacteria bloom tank is extremely milky.

Bout to do water change and test everything.

Thanks again

Old 08-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well just did a small 15% change. Tested my water and im quite happy with my accident lol.

Temp 79.0
pH 8.02
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 1ppm
Phosphate 0 (undetectable)
Alk 9
Calcium 460
Mag 1380

Tank is still very cloudy. Need to order some more DI resin before i can make more water, so unless its an emergency im gonna let the rest run its course until i get the resin here probably weds.

A mistake actually did something good for my tank at least lol. Corals look a little PO'd but should pull through just fine. Cant see the back glass yet.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
Corals look a little PO'd but should pull through just fine. Cant see the back glass yet.
Corals look a little PO'd... LMAO

Do you run Purigen? It won't fix the BB but it's great at pulling out the dissolved organics that the skimmer may miss.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Corals look a little PO'd... LMAO

Do you run Purigen? It won't fix the BB but it's great at pulling out the dissolved organics that the skimmer may miss.

I have carbon running in a reactor along with GFO. Hard to tell but looks like its gotten a tad clearer, still milky tho.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

I have carbon running in a reactor along with GFO. Hard to tell but looks like its gotten a tad clearer, still milky tho.
Do you run them together in the same reactor? My brother tried that and ended up grinding his GFO into mud. I heard that they can be run together if you separate them with a sponge. Glad to hear it's clearing up!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Do you run them together in the same reactor? My brother tried that and ended up grinding his GFO into mud. I heard that they can be run together if you separate them with a sponge. Glad to hear it's clearing up!
Yeah you can separate with a sponge but i mix them together. Carbon prevents the GFO from sticking together so no need to tumble. No dust from the GFO to worry about and no constantly adjusting the tumble. Sometimes i run both, sometimes i run one or the other depending on levels.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

How is the tank today?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank is much clearer this morning when i woke up. Still cloudy but not really milky anymore. Fish look fine, corals however still seem to be irritated from the experience. Many dont have full polyp extension and some are closed up. Good news is im not seeing any significant color loss or necrosis so thats a good sign.

A few corals appear better than before the incident so thats also kinda strange. I know my acans are loving life right now looking good for some reason, seems to be most SPS are irritated right now along with a few some LPS.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com