Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

PH help

So, i tested my water perimeters today and my PH was 7.8 and im trying to go for 8.0-8.4 how do i get it up to that area? Also, my tank has just finished it's cycle and i just did my first water change last night; how long should i wait to get my CUC?

Thank you for your help (:

Old 03-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could use a water solution or a ph buffer they would be the 2 options for raising your ph. You can add your cuc now. Just make sure you don't put too many snails/hermits/shrimp in the same tank together. I would wait until you have got your parameters exactly how you want them then I think it would be ok for your first fish to be added. I have my tanks ph at around 7.8~8ph and have an established reef aquarium. So I don't think you would even need to higher it unless you wanted to put something in that needed that ph level. Hope this helps.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #3

Okay thank you!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

7.8 is fine as long as it's stable. Don't chase a perfect number just keep it stable
Old 03-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

DO NOT USE A PH BUFFER, it will throw your ALK way off and start you snowballing into a chemical soup of trying to balance it all out. How are you measuring, what time of day are you measuring. Do you have a sump/sump light. 7.8-8.2 is fine. Don't get caught up in chasing the perfect 8.2 number, ph always drops in the winter due to co2 build up and lack of fresh air.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
No, do not add shrimp, crabs, and snails now, since there is absolutely no food for them to eat. You don't need a cleanup crew at all. It's just a way to market livestock, and not a necessity. If you like these creatures, add a few once you get fish, for diversity, not because you think you need them.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #7

Thank you so much. I won't get a PH buffer . I normally test my water parameters around 1:00pm and no I don't have a sump I wish I did. And thanks for the information on the CUC I still do want some inverts though but I will add them when there's food for them.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't chase pH. Let it be and persistently maintain stable alk.

Tags
ph help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com