PH Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thor32766

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok heres the problem. Last week My PH was low and after a few days go it back to the 8.4 as usuall, today I checked it and it was as 7.6> it dropped that quick. Any help, Ideas why? Thanks in advance.

Do you have a lot of space between the top of your water line and the top of the tank? Sometimes too much headspace (or tight fitting glass tops) will cause CO2 to "pool" on top of the water. Since it's heavier then air it can't escape the tank. This blanket of CO2 can cause your pH and Alk to crash.

Do you have a fan in your canopy (assuming that you have one)? If it's 6 inches from the top of the water line to the top rim of the aquarium, you may want to think about getting a fan to help move the CO2 out of the tank.

I'm not certain this your problem, but it was one I had with my sump. I hooked up a fan that just blows across the water surface and my alk and pH have been stable since :D

no dont have a glass top. I have a power head close to the top of the water. Hope i can find a resolution soon.

thanks again

What substrate are you using? How old is the tank? Do you use a buffer? Do you use ro\di water or tap?

If you have to adjust the pH in your tank, always consider the carbonate hardness. The pH in harder water is difficult to adjust because it bounces back, while softer water is more easily adjusted. Keep in mind to change it slowly as it causes a lot of stress to your fish.

Good article on maintaining pH.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/phalkalinity/a/aa061301.htm

my tank is about 6 months old. yes I am using tap water to fill. The buffer I am using is the Seachem PH buffer. Without buying a RO is there any other alternative for water. Stuff at the grocery store or chemicals. I am going to setup a fan tonight to see if it helps. Any other info guys dont hesistate to mention.

Back
Top Bottom