PH prob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
My PH spiked a bit. It is usually about 8.3 but today I checked and it was between 8.5-8.7... hard to tell what because there are no indicators between. My levels are this: SG 1.0245, Am 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20-30... I was kalking but I haven't dosed in a few days... I do use glass tops but I removed them for the night because of the high levels. What will keep my levels from raising again? I need some kind of top for now because I don't have a canopy.

Taking off the glass tops will usually raise your PH as there will be better air exchange. What is your Alk?

A good alk level will help prevent ph fluctuations. Pick yourself up a kit. The ph spike is most likely due to your kalk dosing if you never had the problem before. Removing the glass tops (which is a good thing) was just done at the wrong time.

This article should answer most of your questions better than I possibly could.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2002/chem.htm

In the mean time. do some water changes with water that is PH adjusted. You want to very slowly lower it.
IMO additives contribute to these kind of problems, espacially without proper testing of water chem levels that they effect.

Back
Top Bottom