pH problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just changed to B-Ionic 2 part buffer. After applying it twice to my tank my pH has shot up to 8.5. It has been about 8.3 during the day. I always apply it in the morning when pH is at its lowest. What could be wrong? Doesn't B-Ionic buffer it to 8.3. What should I do to bring the pH down?

I havn't used it myself, but isn't there a way to adjust the two parts for optimum performance, rather than using a standard dose of each?

I'm guessing you're testing in the pm after the b ionic? The lights are probably causing the ph climb, even though 8.5 isn't anything to be worried about.

And yes, you can cut down on the B portion if it's not needed. But it's used primarily for your Alk levels.

I just bought some Kent Tech CB (same thing) and will be reporting on how it works ;)

With B-Ionic, part A is the alkalinity (that's what is said on the bottle). Yes, I did measure the ph during day. The ph reads 8.33 before light on.

Although I could adjust the 2 part for optimal balance, I really want to raise my Alk, which subsequently raises my ph. Nevertheless, I am following its instruction of 1ml per 4 gallon, but still a high ph.

I have been using Kent Tec CB before B-Ionic. Kent is not as strong as B-Ionic and it never raised my ph more than 8.3. I also found the Alk and CA are not strong enough, hence the change.

I would try some Alk booster if you're tryin to raise your levels substantially. The 2 part solutions are really just supplements to keep your levels in-line, like kalk.

And last time I checked, all 2 part solutions are (Kent, B-ionic, C balance) are practically the same. In fact, B ionic is not 'stronger' than Kent:

Kent / B-ionic
Ca 56,000 / 54,000ppm
Dkh 7840 / 7840

my question is why are you using it? what is it you hope to accomplish and was there a problem before using the additives?

Generally speaking, there is no reason to "just use it" for the sake of using it. Water changes normally put things in balance unless you have an underlying problem.

I do a PWC every 2 weeks. My CA has been low at around 350. So I topped it up with Kent Turbo Calcium and then maintain it with a 2 part system. I have been using Kent Tech B but found it a bit weak. Upon changing to B-Ionic, the ph just shot up crazy.

Back
Top Bottom