pH problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
some one said if i cured my LR right in the other tank i should not see a cycle in the new tank. if this is not true we got problems lol my girl friend was rying to be sweet and bought a star fish to put in the tank ths evening. i did not want to yell at her she said it was for my birthday lol so how should i go by doing this?

That is true. But if you have had the cured LR in the tank w/ no ammonia source, ie. fish, fish food, the bacteria will perish. If you have not had an ammonia source w/ the rock constantly since the cycle you will have to add one and cycle again.

how long will the bacteria live without food?
i placed my rock in the sat. and i put a 1/2 tesp. of brineshrip in there. i had some left over from my trigger i had.

I'm not sure exactly how long the bacteria will live w/ out a food source, but it's not very long. I would add a pinch of ground up flake food to the tank. Test a few hours later to see if you have any ammonia or nitrite. Returning or placing the star in a QT until your sure the tank is cycled would be a good idea. Stock the tank very slowly so the bacteria can catch up w/ the bio-load.

k can do i just added a little of food about 1 hr ago how long till i should check?
if it makes any difference i see 1000's of little white things crawling all over my live rocks. i guess those are pods right?

I think 6-8 hours would be enough to see a spike. If you see ammonia or nitrite, it would be best to re-cycle the tank IMO. If not, continue to feed the tank what you would feed a small fish, everyday to feed the bacteria. Get a small fish in there as soon as possible and monitor for stress and ammo/nitrite. Stock the tank very slowly so you don't overwhelm what's left of the bio-filter. Stock peaceful fish first, more aggressive last.
frogspawn said:
little white things crawling all over my live rocks. i guess those are pods right?
Sounds like it could be copepods. They are smaller than amphipods, about 1/2-2/3 the size of a (.) period. HTH

those little white guys would not live if there was a ammo. in there right? or can they handle the stress of ammo. and nitrite?

Frogspawn said:
those little white guys would not live if there was a ammo. in there right? or can they handle the stress of ammo. and nitrite?
Some won't make it, but you will be surprised how many will.

Some survived the initial cycle and curing of the tank and LR. As Roka said LR hitchhikers can be surprisingly resilient. Prolonged chemistry issues will take a toll on them though.

Back
Top Bottom