ph problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lziarek

Aquarium Advice Freak
My ph reading this morning read between 7.8 -8.0 (too low I understand). All I have in my 55 gal is about 20 lbs of live rock and 13 small hermit crabs and 1 snail. I have been using kent pro ph buffer in atempts to raise the ph to 8.3. Any ideas? It was my understanding the measuring in the morning was the best time to test for ph. I have 40 lbs cc/ 20lbs argonite sand mixte for a substrate.

7.8-8.0 first thing in the AM is actually not that low. Testing at that time is not really the best indication of pH as a rule either. That is when it is at it's lowest and is greatly affected by in tank and ambient CO2. Midday (or midway through the photoperiod) is generally a good time to test. Be sure as well to test near to the same time of day each time you test to guage fluctuations.

As the day progresses, the algaes in the tank produce O2 counteracting the affects of the CO2 created at night. O2 raises the pH while CO2 supresses it. It is quite common to have a pH as low as 7.8 before lights on in the AM and 8.5 just before the lights go off at night.

Test at mid afternoon and see what you get. I would still post the alk reading as Scuba suggested.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom