Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2003, 04:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

pH question

Thank you for your help in advance.

I have a 75g with 45lbs LR and 20 gallon refugium with 24 hr lighting. The pH of the tap water that I use is 8.4. When I drip in Kalk, my calcium goes to 350 and my dKH goes to 10, both of which are fine with me...however, my pH then goes to 8.6 which is a little high. I am not sure how to get it down. I have tried to use vinegar with the Kalk, but that does not do it. I want to get parameters perfect before getting coral. Any suggestions?

Other info: amm, nitrite and nitrate = 0
440W metal VHO
1 flame angel
1 very small purple tang
1 cleaner
1 coral banded
6 scarlet hermit

thanks alot
kevin

Old 01-27-2003, 08:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Have you tried RDP, instead of 24 hour lighting? What does your SW mix at for PH? Are you mixing your kalk with RO water or tap water?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am mixing the kalk with tap, which has pH of 8.4. I have not measured my salt with h20 yet, but I only do a 20% change each month (not much to really make a difference, I dont think). As far as the RDP lighting ( I am not sure what you are refering to, but I think you are talking about the reverse light schedule). I have read some controversy over reverse lighting and it causeing caulerpra 'sexing' ...or something like that, which has crashed tanks in past. What is your opinion on that.

thanks again
kevin
Old 01-28-2003, 01:01 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
As far as the RDP lighting ( I am not sure what you are refering to, but I think you are talking about the reverse light schedule).
RDP = Reverse Daylight Photoperiod

Quote:
I have read some controversy over reverse lighting and it causeing caulerpra 'sexing'
I haven't read that, I have read that it is more likely to occur than with a 24hr lighting cycle, and even more likely if you light it the same as your tank.

If this were my tank, I would mix the kalk with RO, the ph of the kalk mixed with tap water may be what is causing it. This might go hand in hand with your 24hr refugium lighting. Lighting the refugium 24 hrs will cause the ph to remain stabe all day...even at night, when you drip the kalk it will raise the ph, and the refugium may be keeping it there. Maybe someone with a refugium and drips kalk will pipe in here...

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com