Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2005, 06:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

PH question

Right now my PH is at 8.8 so I bought Proper PH 8.2 to fix it. I've just recently got 30 lbs of LR that had a few hitchhikers (2 brittle stars, 2 crabs, 1 pistol shrimp, 2 feather dusters, a few snails, and lots of other sponges and growths I can't identify.

So my question is can I put this stuff directly into my tank and not kill all the critters?

I've got a 29 gallon tank and its saying put one scoop per 10 gals. I was thinking of putting in one scoop now, and wait a few hours before I put in the other scoop. Would that be ok? On the bottle it doesn't say if it would be safe for livestock and it doesn't have any kind of warning tha tit might kill anything.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #2

anyone?

Maxi-jet 1200
Aqua C Remora Skimer
Emporer Bio-wheel (not sure what model but big enough)
1 Pygmy Angle
1 Ocellaris Clownfish
2 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs
Umpa Lumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I don't have a probelm with 8.8, just means your water is well buffered. 8.3 is the norm, but I personally don't see a problem with an 8.8. I guess though I should ask the standard questions.

When did you test
what are you testing with
what CA/ALK suppliments are you dosing your tank

I would like to see my tank hit 8.7ish at peak and get down around 8.3 at night. Right now I get to about 8.4 at peak and 8.15 at night.

"<<pH is definitely too low and perhaps a part of the problem. Ph is highest during the day and if 8.1 is the best we can do, then there is a problem. 8.3 (night-time0 to 8.6 (daytime) is a well buffered tank. Average seawater is 8.45. You'll want to discover alkalinity to interpret why your pH is low>>"
-Anthony Calfo

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisc0
When did you test
what are you testing with
what CA/ALK suppliments are you dosing your tank
Tested around 5 pm today, but its been reading that high for about a week. I never did anything about it till now because its just finished its cycle.

I've used two different tests, one kind you dip a strip in with multipule tests. PH reads 8.8 on that one. The ALK pad on that strip is off the color chart (over 300) I had problem trying to compare the colors so I bought another PH test. The other PH test is made by the same people that make stress coat, on the box it just says high range PH test kit. That one as well is comeing up 8.8

I'm useing Kent brand name for the calcium, which is currently at 460.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Although I will always question the accuracy of any "dip stick" test kit, I still don't see anything wrong with your readings. There is one thing I wanted to check on though. Do you know your salinity? Just wanted to make sure you PH wasn't so high due to a huge overmix of salt or something causing some kind of "uber buffer" scenario. Also, give it another test once the lights have been out a few hours and post back what you find. If possible do the same first thing in the morning.

-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:11 PM   #6

Yup, its at 1.024. So I don't need to worry if the PH or ALK gets to high?
Maxi-jet 1200
Aqua C Remora Skimer
Emporer Bio-wheel (not sure what model but big enough)
1 Pygmy Angle
1 Ocellaris Clownfish
2 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs
Umpa Lumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, you certainly don't want to let the PH get any higher that 8.8, and I would try to keep the ALK below 12DKH. I bet you'll see a downward trend as your nitrogen cycle kicks into gear as well. What brand of salt are you using? How long were you lights on when you got the 8.8? Did you dose anything before you took the reading? Sorry, the questions just keep coming.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:48 PM   #8
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well water or city water ?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com