PH screen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skipper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 301 Aquaclear PH and just added a 401 PH last night. The 301 came with a cone shaped screen but the 401 just has a screen at bottom. I figured that would keep the fish from getting caught, but last night it sucked up one of my mollies (didn't chop it up but killed it). Any ideas on what I can do to prevent this from happening to one of my more prized fish? Can I buy that cone screen for the PH or do I need to engineer something? I left it left the PH off today so I dont have to worry about that happening while I am away. Thanks in advance.

~Al

The key is to have as large a surface area as possible where the water current is going into the powerhead. If you have a small area where the water is goign in then the power of the current is more and harder for fish to swim away if they get stuck in the 'vortex of death'.

Hi Skipper,

Yep - I agree with FishFreek - you need a larger intake surface area to decrease the flow rate/sq inch.

My Suggestion would be measure the diameter of the area arround where the screen is. As I recall this is a small 1/4" protrussion that is 1" in diameter and typically would fit into an uplift tube of an UGF. I'll assume it's one inch, if not then adjust the following directions accordingly. Then drill a bunch of 1/8" or 1/4" holes all along a piece of 1" PVC piping cut about 2" long. Cap one side of the 1" PVC tube with a standard 1" Cap using PVC cemet or even Silicon. Then glue the open end of the PVC pipe to the protrussion on the powerhead with Silicon (Silicon will be strong enough to hold it but allow you to remove it if neccessary).

You may not need to use the Silicon as the PVC may fit snuggly onto the protrussion.

This is one solution, you can adjust it accordingly. For example, you can buy the 1" clear uplift tubes from your LFS and cut them and fashion the intake openings as you see fit. You wil have to find some method to cover the open end - perhaps using silicon to glue a small piece of plastic over it.

HTH

Tom

Thanks for info and the pic. I will do that tonight.

I think I check the AA forums more than I do my email. All the great advice has got my tank where its at today. Thank you everyone.

~Al

Back
Top Bottom