Ph won't raise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ams2896

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The ph in my tank has been fluctuating between 7.5 and 8.0 for a few weeks and I've used a buffer that says it'll get the ph up to 8.3 and it's not working. I've done water changes with a ph that supposedly is 8.3 and that's done nothing either. The waters too acidic for my humbugs and is starting to cause fin rot. Any ideas or advice?

Biggest mistake you can make is buffering your ph. Stop buffering, I am sure tha Alk is way off and your calcium, mag and Alk is way out of balance. Stop all dosing and just do weekly water changes, it will take months to bring every thing back in balance. Hiw do you check your ph, when did you check it. 7.5-8.3 is perfectly fine, especially in the winter. Due to heating and a house full of humans, your home gets filled up with co2, due to no fresh air. Stop worrying about chasing the perfect ph number, and consintrate on water changes. And above all stop buffering, do a full round of water test.

If it were me I'd test or get my water tested with some pro kits. The kind that give a number, not a color. Hanah, or Red Sea Pro, maybe Salifert. Next, I'd make up some new water and get it tested the same way. Get the number, not the color. Process of elimination, if you know your water change water is where its supposed to be, then you can fix the tank. Also pay attention to how long you mix your water for, leaving it for days can cause the ph to drop. Get a balanced additive, not just a Seachem Marine buffer, but an actual alkalinity buffer. When you are correcting the alk, make sure your ph doesn't swing more than .25 in a day. Gluck

Back
Top Bottom