Phos-X by Hagen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ambulocetus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, Anyone have any info on using this product? I am trying to battle against outrageous cyano, and thought this might work?
Wether it was good, bad or ugly I would really appreciate your input! :D

I used it..but it expires real quick..It does work or at least it did for me..

Using in FW tank in my canister filter. Was surprise with the result, considering it 8 out of 10.

ambulocetus said:
Hi all, Anyone have any info on using this product? I am trying to battle against outrageous cyano, and thought this might work?
Wether it was good, bad or ugly I would really appreciate your input! :D

I think you would be better off finding out why you're getting the cyano. What kind of water are you using, Tap or RO?

well, i used tap to fill up, and with my new-found knowledge plan to use RO (from a store) to top off, considering how little my tank is i didn't think investing a an RO unit was a wise choice (especially with college fees coming round again! lol). So my theory was i could use it to mop up the phosphates in there now, and then by using RO to top off/water change, i would eliminate it altogether!
Well, thats the plan - I was just wanting to know if the phos-x worked, o if it leached anything into the water
Thanks gotz_potential and vega for your info
Bearfan if my thinking on the situation is wrong please let me know (I use a tiny amount of flake food, but mainly blender mush to feed them!)
Thanks all

I think you would be better off finding out why you're getting the cyano. What kind of water are you using, Tap or RO?

Bearfan hit it right on the nose. That is the best advice. Find out what is "causing" the problem and fix that. Then you won't need the "additives" to fix the "effect" it is having on your tank.

Most good articles on Algae stress this point. Sure they give you ways to combat the algae "after" it blooms which is good information to know. Once the bloom is under control and removed you need to find the culprit that started it in the first place. This will go a long way keeping future algae blooms in check.

Way to go Bearfan. Did I spell everything right?...LOL

Mike

So my theory was i could use it to mop up the phosphates in there now, and then by using RO to top off/water change, i would eliminate it altogether!

Is this the right idea, i realise that using tap water probably has caused it to bloom, but as long as i don't add any more phosphates, then i should be able to use a phosphate remover to get rid of what is already in there?

Back
Top Bottom