Phosban Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
How often do you guys changed out the media (Granules) in your phosban reactor? I have had the same media now for almost 3 months.

It's supposed to last for a few months. I would change it quarterly. Or whenever your phosphates start to go up.

The life of phosban is directly related to the amount of PO4 that is continually being introduced into your tank. If you are having PO4 issues evaluate your source water, feeding schedule and technique. It is also important to rinse your phosban in PO4 free RO/DI water prior to adding it to your tank. It will just absorb the PO4 in the water and, thus, decrease it's effective life.

Everyone will have a different schedule for changing their phosphate remover, and as lando mentioned it completely depends on the amount of PO4 that is being introduced.

Theoretically, if you are keepong your introduced PO4's down, then every 6 months shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn;t go any longer than that, but it can be stretched to that in some circumstances.

Personally, I think every 2 months is a waste of money unless PO4 is a huge issue, and in that case some PO4 detective work is in order to cut it out at the source.

You also have to look at the media you are using, some will start to leach back into the water when it becomes spent, some claims it won't leach but still will slightly, and some won't leach at all, it will just stop removing it.

If you regularly test your PO4, you will be tipped off when your readings start climbing but your routine has stayed the same..... at that point, change the media. That's the best way to get full life out of your media, but it's more work than just putting it on a 4 month schedule, for example.

They say 3 months is when it should be changed out, thats when I try to do it.. like the others have said every tank is different so if you have any PO4 in your tank its time to change it out.

PC, running po4 and carbon together in the same filter is not a good idea, phosban lasts 3 months carbon should be changed out in 30 days max. Carbon will leach back into the tank where PB is not suppose too. Also carbon needs high flow and PB need low flow, either get anoght reactor for the carbon or come up with a new way to run it..

Back
Top Bottom