Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Phosban Reactor - Little Fishes version

Does anyone run into problems with having to clean the reactor out say weekly? I hang mine off of the 40 gallon sump I have and I find that I have to dump the media, water and pads out about once a week as the pads get clogged with a really fine skim. Is this normal? My tank is clear but I assume its just resdue from the water and such.
ALSO how many of you run Phosban vs ROWA media? I dont notice much difference really other than the price you pay between the 2 of them.
Thanks

Old 10-18-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I'm not sure, since I don't run one. Is it possible that particular size maybe too small for your size tank? (just a guess)

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im using the pads inside the reactor that came with it. I would assume these would be the right ones. I just havent seen anyone mentioning them having to pour the media out, then rinse the pads and refill each week.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I run mine for literally months without cleaning. I use rowa and carbon in it. Couple things to consider. If the bottom pad is getting clogged too quickly then the water entering the reactor is in need of some pre filter. Shouldnt be that much trash entering the reactor. If its the top pad thats clogging you should check to see that you do not have the flow set too high. Re-read the instructions for the reactor it will explain how to set the water flow so as not to grind your phosban into a dirt like substance which can then leach into the tank.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its the bottom pad that is clogging mostly. I will try and run some filter media then in a HOB filter I have running in my sump...it runs mainly to have another means of putting oxygen into the water. I just try and eliminate anything that would be a nitrate factory - IE filter pads.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with pc, some knid of prefilter is a must imo. Prefilters are easy to rinse out and if you do it a couple times a week you should not have any nitrate issues.

Tags
reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com