Phosguard vs GFO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Phosguard because it doesn't require a reactor to operate (which is a big deal since my tank is a nano).

After running GFO for some time I switched over to Phosguard. I like the phosguard better since it is easier to run. GFO needs to run 'at a small boil' to be effective and in high calcium environments quickly turns into a solid cake, where it is no longer effective.

After running GFO for some time I switched over to Phosguard. I like the phosguard better since it is easier to run. GFO needs to run 'at a small boil' to be effective and in high calcium environments quickly turns into a solid cake, where it is no longer effective.

Do you use yours in a reactor? I have GFO now, first time it the tank it covered everything in a dust and now it has turned into a brick :/

I run my GFO in a reactor. I mKe sure to run a couple gallons through it into a bucket to make sure all the fines are out. So far no problems and only minor algae outbreaks when I slack off on water changes and replacing the GFO.

And yes you have to adjust the flow on the reactor so the GFO barely but constantly moves. I find it was east to adjust it while I am letting it rinse the fines out.

There is a good video on the brs site showing how to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run my GFO in a reactor. I mKe sure to run a couple gallons through it into a bucket to make sure all the fines are out. So far no problems and only minor algae outbreaks when I slack off on water changes and replacing the GFO.

And yes you have to adjust the flow on the reactor so the GFO barely but constantly moves. I find it was east to adjust it while I am letting it rinse the fines out.

There is a good video on the brs site showing how to do this.

It's not algae issues in the DT I'm trying to take care of, it's just trying to help my sps out as much as possible. I have the reactor tuned pretty well, I'm going to try and run a little more media this time to see if it helps my issues.

I prefer GFO. For me I saw a difference almost overnight. I picked up phosguard and never saw a difference. So I dumped it and went back to GFO. Btw I'm even using generic eBay GFO. It works amazing. I use it in a reactor BTW.

I followed the video instructions from BRS to the letter and my GFO always clumped to the point it wouldn't tumble no matter how much pump pressure. I like GFO even though it's a mess to work with. Can't cure the tumble issue. Even mixed in charcoal and it would seize up even then

It's odd everyone I see that mentions GFO says they got it from BRS. My question to you guys is why do you keep supporting the product? I have some great off brand GFO and have yet to have any clumping issues in my reactor. Makes me wonder.

I use it cause I get a good price on it being a preferred reefer, as well as participating in group buys. Also doesn't hurt I live within 10 miles of the warehouse so no delivery. As far as the GFO clumping up on me. I have yet to have it happen bd enough that it stops working. I usually just dial it in while it is rinsing and let it go. I have run it with carbon together and I had really good results as well.

If you don't mind me asking how much is the GFO you use? Any way to cut costs without cutting reliability is helpful. :)

I just cleans my reactor and added more GFO than before, I'm getting much better movement without all the dust I was getting before. I'll keep running it and update what I find out.

GFO clumping

I have personally never had any issue with BRS GFO clumping I use the high capacity stuff and regenerate it after use. GFO is supposed to be rinsed at least once a week in the reactor by turning the inlet valve to it highest setting for just a couple of secounds to rinse the GFO this should help with the clumping issues.

Back
Top Bottom