Phosphate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffaquarius

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a reef tank with LR. My corals were doing fine before but when I started using phosphate remover my corals seem to start declining. I test with Hannah phosphate test kit and it reads 0. Any suggestion on how can I crank up my phosphate back to 0.03?

Edit: I already removed the phosphate remover for 2 weeks now but reading stayed on 0.

pH 8.1
alk 9
calcium 480
mag 1300
salinity 1.025
temp 78

I also have thought of that. It's a 28 gal nano with 3 small fish. It's gonna be a trial in error though on how much is a "little bit" to reach the desired level .

Just feed some more and remove some of the filter media. It is hard to believe you are reading straight 0 with a Hanna checker. That is lower than many ULNS tanks... If it is true it is probably the reason you are seeing things suffer. You do need some phosphates. Also, a fast drop can also be harmful.

I have my readings today with no skimmer for about a week. Phosphate is picking up a little bit but hair algae starts to show up though. Corals still not looking good.

Nitrate 0
Phosphate still below 0.03 maybe 0.01
pH 8.0
Mg 1360
dKH 7.0
Cal 455
Salinity 1.025
Temp 78

Edit: Light is LED Pacifica 108 watts set at 50% on 28 Gal nano

Are you sure you're Hanna is okay? 0.00ppm is pretty hard to attain even on purpose. If that's accurate, you're right, you may be starving the corals. Needs to be about 0.05ppm to be in the sweet spot for colorful hard corals. I also like my alkalinity a bit higher.

I have 3 different phosphate test kits. The API for convenience but I normally use Salifert while Hannah sparingly for accuracy and know exactly where they are at. To make sure I did not make any error, I made another test with Hannah today and it is consistent. My acan seem to be doing fine though but not my zoa and flower pot.

That's seem right, they tend to like a bit more nutrients. Same with my mushrooms. It's harder to do a mixed reef because of that balancing point.

The reading was taken early morning and the skimmer was off. It goes up to 8.2 during mid day. It may also be due to the fluctuation of my alk. I use plain ro/di for top off on my ato. I will start dosing with baking soda after pwc and take daily readings on alk.

I forgot to mention that my 28 gal is a monaco system. It's been only about 2 months but the LR are matured for about a year. I have done some more readings and the system is very effective in removing phosphate even without a skimmer. It also says that it is normal to have algae within 6 months and after that minimal maintenance is required. I will have to see if it is true for another 4 months. My acans started with only 4 large heads and now they have grown 4 more heads after a month. The zoas are still not fully opening though.

Back
Top Bottom