Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2005, 09:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Phosphate & Nitrate problems!!

Hi ppl,

I've got a major problem with my phosphate (>3ppm) & nitrate (80ppm) levels.

I'm going to do a major water change (30%), clean all the gravel, scrub off all the algae, clean the filters and change the sponges.

I'm also going to put in more live rocks as I've read that it should reduce the nitrate!

Is there anything else I would need to do, other than using any resins?

Old 09-09-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
find out where the phosphate is coming from. Food? source water?

I got a phosphate reactor for $30 plus $15 for the stuff (will last 9 mo in my tank) and a $14 powerhead. haven't had it long enough to report results, but it was easy to set up.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
gravel? That sounds like a likely candidate. Gravel is not really appropriate for a saltwater tank because of its ability to hold detritus.

How often do you change the sponges and clean the filters?

The algae is not creating ditrate and phosphate, it is a result of it.

Live rocks will not reduce the nitrates if it is competing with some kind of filter like hob, cannister or wet/dry trickle systems.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
I agree, where are the phosphates coming from? What is your source water? Test the freshwater that you use for topoffs and water changes, test your freshly mixed SW. If either shows any phosphates or nitrates then I would look for a better water source or consider some filtration. Otherwise, phosphates/nitrates can be introduced by some fish foods, overfeeding and/or some cheap GAC 's may have phosphates or even leach them back into the aquarium. What type of filtration do you use? Your method of filtration can greatly impact nitrate levels. If you can not effectively eliminate or reduce the introduction of nutrients then you should look into a refugium with macroalgaes for nutrient export. HTH
Old 09-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiden
find out where the phosphate is coming from. Food? source water?
How do I find the source?
Old 09-09-2005, 10:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdp
I agree, where are the phosphates coming from? What is your source water? Test the freshwater that you use for topoffs and water changes, test your freshly mixed SW. If either shows any phosphates or nitrates then I would look for a better water source or consider some filtration. Otherwise, phosphates/nitrates can be introduced by some fish foods, overfeeding and/or some cheap GAC 's may have phosphates or even leach them back into the aquarium. What type of filtration do you use? Your method of filtration can greatly impact nitrate levels. If you can not effectively eliminate or reduce the introduction of nutrients then you should look into a refugium with macroalgaes for nutrient export. HTH
I buy the from my LFS which is directly imported from the ocean... I have a canister filter and a mini reef.

Where can I get these macroalgaes?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I bet the canister and the gravel are what's cuasing the nitrates.

Put some of whatever you're feeding into an ounce of water, let it sit a while, then test that water for phosphates.

Also, test the water you get from the LFS. Phosphates are common in fertilizer, so if there is any agriculture near where they're getting it from, it's possible that it's coming from there. Not likely, if they go out far enough, but you never know until you test

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

sponge filters on a SW tank (well, reef tank mainly) should be rinsed about every other day to prevent them from becoming nitrate factories.

more live rock...1-2lbs per gallon of tank size...I find 1.5lbs/gal is optimal for the 'average tank' in terms of nitrate reduction, and visual aesthetics.

Also, a good skimmer will help remove the organic compounds that are converting into nitrate and phosphate.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiden
I bet the canister and the gravel are what's cuasing the nitrates.

Put some of whatever you're feeding into an ounce of water, let it sit a while, then test that water for phosphates.

Also, test the water you get from the LFS. Phosphates are common in fertilizer, so if there is any agriculture near where they're getting it from, it's possible that it's coming from there. Not likely, if they go out far enough, but you never know until you test
What am I suppose to do with Canister?? I've cleaned it thoroughly and also cleaned 80% of the gravel (I actually meant sand - sorry for the confusion)..

I've tested the water and phosphate is also nil???!!

Tags
nitrate, phosphate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com