Phosphate info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great link!! It explains ALOT about why I have phosphates, I knew food was a factor but wasn't aware of the actual numbers. Kinda scary when you read it LOL

Quote FROM THE READ said:
Now we come to the heart of the issue. The actual amount of phosphorus present in foods and what it means. In order to understand the effects of foods, we need to understand what happens to them when added to an aquarium. Some aquarists are under the misconception that eaten foods do not contribute to the free phosphate in the water. Many aquarists are told the mantra of feeding only as much as is eaten, and they confound this idea with the assumption that when doing so, one minimizes the phosphate release. That idea is simply untrue.

Very interesting point from the article.

Also- the article stated that seafood that people consume contains much smaller traces of phosphates. This backs up me making my own food from fresh seafood from the grocery store, cyclopeeze, and a mixer (thanks Doug for the tip).

Further interesting to note is that the author says that rinsing the frozen food really only removes about 1% of the phosphate from that frozen cube.

Back
Top Bottom