Phosphate Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is a follow-up to an earlier post. I am recovering from a major algae outbreak which was caused by unrecovered fish that died. To try and better understand my chemistry I have purchased a phosphate test kit. It is made by SeaTest and it indicates that it is for reef tanks. My current phosphate level is below 0.2 mg/l according to this kit. This is as low as the kit will go. Can someone tell me if this is the correct kit to use, i.e. is it sensitive enough? Should this level of phosphate be low enough to minimize green algae growth?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

awillemd1

0.2ppm is actually not that high but high enough really. Any amount of PO4 will help fuel algae growth. I cannot comment on the accuracy of the Seatest kit as I have never used that brand. If the measurement is true or even lower, then the best thing now is to ensure that no more PO4 is introduced. The remaining amount will eventually be burned up by the algaes.

Top off/change water and foods (mainly frozen) will be your greatest concern for additions of phosphates. Now that you have the test kit, I would suggest ensuring that these sources are not contributing.

Cheers
Steve

The lower the level of the phosphate, the harder they are to accurately test. The two I have used are >>Salifert<< and Sera. Both seamed reasonabley accurate.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom